Garage-door push button

A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one direction then stops. When I push the button again, nothing happens. (I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was wired) I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the door reverses.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
gcotterl

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

Reply to
krw

On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

Reply to
dpb

Perhaps you missed: "I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different brands but they also move the door in just one direction."

Reply to
krw

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button (Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

Gary

Reply to
gcotterl

I'd bet the issue is the replacement one is LIGHTED, ie as someone posted, more than just a momentary switch. Were any of the other ones that did not work just a switch?

Reply to
trader4

Hi, As already mentioned you may have a button with lamp in it or diode. You just need a plain momemtary contact button. Ohm it out.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Remove the light bulb - cut the wire going to one end of the bulb. I'll bet my retirement that that fixes your problem. BTW - If the button makes it move in one direction, how do you move it in the other direction to try the pushbutton again. You don't mention if the remote control works or not.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If touching the two wires together momentarily operates the door properly, you need a non lighted push button

Reply to
RBM

The remote control works correctly.

To move the garage door in the opposite direction, I have to disconnect one of the wires from the push button, reconnect the wire and press the push button.

Reply to
gcotterl

No, that's _precisely_ what I mean--the combination devices are more than _just_ a pushbutton.

Reply to
dpb

So what about "check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is" do you disagree with?

Reply to
krw

On 5/14/2011 4:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Nothing; why did you think I disagreed w/ seeing what was in the original (altho it almost certainly is nothing but a momentary contact)--I was just telling OP which device I think is his issue (and why).

Reply to
dpb

What do you mean by "...to see exactly WHAT IT IS"? Am I looking for the meter-reading? The kind of push button? Or ????

Reply to
gcotterl

And right there is your problem. Use an *un*lighted doorbell, or disconnect the light.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi, What does it tell you? Just install right one and done with it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 5/14/2011 5:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote: ...

Or find one that has a set of contacts that aren't connected to anything else (or modify the one you have). There's no reason you can't have a light; it just can't have the diode across the contacts.

Reply to
dpb

That type of switch with a light will indicate to you opener that you are still holding the switch closed even after you remove your finger. Do as others said....Get the light out of the circuit. WW

Reply to
WW

This is a stupid thread, the OP should take one second to snip out the bulb and everything will be fine.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Is the new button a lighted button? by chance?

Reply to
clare