Garage Door Opener Button With Ring Doorbell???

I have a doorbell button at my front door that opens and closes the garage door. I DO NOT have a outside doorbell. I bought the Ring doorbell and wa s wondering if I can drill in from the outside and splice into the INSIDE e lectrical button for power. Different voltage? Which wire etc.???

Why on Earth would you have a doorbell button at the front door that opens the garage door? Must get a little tiresome every time the FedEx guy or the pizza delivery guy arrives and "rings" ;-)
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 11:46:31 AM UTC-8, Wade Garrett wrote:

age door. I DO NOT have a outside doorbell. I bought the Ring doorbell an d was wondering if I can drill in from the outside and splice into the INSI DE electrical button for power. Different voltage? Which wire etc.???

replying to type007, Iggy wrote: Sure, as long as the voltage is 8 to 24-volts, so the Ring can work or not be fried. Otherwise, you'll have to use the transformer supplied by Ring from another source that's full voltage. Which wire is determined by your circuit tester after you take the doorbell's cover off, as typically the GDO button wire's just a paired gray or white with no indicator or difference between wires.
On 12/15/2017 6:44 PM, Iggy wrote:

The GDO button is making/breaking a circuit. It is just a loop of one wire. I don't think it is going to give him power.
replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote: Yep, he just needs to find the one that's supplying the power. They aren't like a light switch, which severs the power feed. With a doorbell, the power's always on and you're connecting positive to negative when the button's pushed.
On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 10:14:10 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:

Like Ed said, the garage door opener is a switch in a circuit. It's not there to supply power to anything. There is no wire that's "supplying power". And the switch *is* like a light switch. A light switch opens and closes in the light circuit, the garage door opener switch opens and closes in the garage door opener circuit. What you're proposing is like going to a switch in a light cord, hooking wires up to both sides of the switch and expecting that to power something else. It won't work for the same reasons.
replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: We'll have to wait and see what's what. Maybe they find power and maybe they don't and maybe the voltage is too low or too high. Maybe the power's there, but as soon as they pigtail to both wires the door keeps opening and closing and it's an all around failed idea.
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 10:42:18 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I would not recommend connecting these devices together in any way. As others have said, the wires going to the GDO button are not intended to carry power. In fact, some openers use diode logic to provide multiple functions over that one pair of wires. In my case (a ten year old Genie brand opener), there are two buttons. One opens the door while the other just turns the light on. There is also a slide switch that locks the opener from responding to its RF remotes.
The chances of your "ringing" dorrbell being compatible with that in any useful way are slim.
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 8:54:01 PM UTC-5, Pat wrote:

ge door. I DO NOT have a outside doorbell. I bought the Ring doorbell and was wondering if I can drill in from the outside and splice into the INSID E electrical button for power. Different voltage? Which wire etc.???

That's a good point too. My Sears also has the open/close, light, and lock functions all on one pad that's served by two wires.

Ok. So reading the thread I don’t think it will work. But my Inside garage door has power. It has a little light in the switch. It is single t oggle switch. If I replace the toggle with a Ring doorbell. Do you think pu shing the button would trigger the door?
On 10/25/2018 3:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@goscooterguy.com wrote:

Yes.

Really? That easy?
Really? That easy?
On 10/25/18 3:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@goscooterguy.com wrote:

and upload video of your car to the internet, where thieves can get a good look and decide if they want it.
--
59 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).