Garage Door Opener

My Genie is 10 years old. The original price installed was $280. For the past three years I have had to have someone come out and "fix" it

- about $100 each trip. It's started acting up again - when I open it, the door goes up and the motor keeps running. I have to hit the button again to make it stop. I am seriously thinking ab out getting a new one. The one I have now is a "screw" type -- I don't see that listed online. My neighbors both have chain drives and they have not had any problems with them -- both have Craftsman. The man who works on mine does not install them anymore but gave me the name and number of a company that he says does good work and has good prices....I haven't called yet. He recommended Chamberlain's Lift Masters - said it had a good Consumer Report review. Before I go shopping -- is there anything I should be careful about? My late husband always did the shopping for this before and I am not very knowledgeable about it. Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

We put a Chamberlain screw drive in a remodeled garage several years ago. I don't remember how it know when to shut off, but the reason we used a screw drive was there was not enough ceiling space for a chain drive unit.

Be sure you have space for a Stanley before taking the screw drive out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I think I'd call the guy who used to fix it for you and ask him the secret of fixing it. It's probably some sort of "stop" that triggers the motor to turn off. Is it inside the box? I doubt it. Is it near the rail. Probably. What does he do to fix it? Since he's not doing this anymore, he may well be willing and able to tell you.

But the price you have to pay is not to whine or complain or even make referrence when he makes it sound simple and yet you've been paying

100 dollars. You were paying for his training and experience, not his time. If you whine, etc, he won't tell the next person who asks.

Try to be on a portable phone, with a good flashlight, when you call him so you can look at what he's talking about. Who will actually fix it after you know how, I don't konw.

Reply to
micky

But if it's easy to do, you'll be able to do it or get it done for years to come without buying a new one.

Reply to
micky

Hi, Our opener is also Genie Blue Max screw drive type installed in '96. It still works 100%. Sounds like limit switch(s) is worn out. They are a few dollars each on eBay. There are to mounted on the drive rail held by one set screw with one wire connection. To replace them, need a step ladder, a screw driver, needle nose plier. Door keeps trying to go up because limit switch did not make a contact or spring on the switch is broke. Two switches are identical. Just replace them.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have the Chamberlain now also, chain drive. It has been reliable, but it is only two years old. They are a good brand.

Be sure it is powerful enough for your door if it is a large one. In general, the bigger the better. Some have extra features such as the ability to turn on the light and not open the door.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Powerful enough? I was always led to believe that the springs do all the work when set properly, the opener is just a convenience.

Reply to
SG

In a perfect world, yes. I suggest you travel your town and lift some of the doors that have no opener and see if that is true. Especially some of the double doors.

In theory, a 6 year old girl can lift them with one hand.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You don't need a new opener. Your device is out of adjustment.

Get the model number. Look up the users/installation guide on the internet.

You'll find that there is an adjustable "limit switch" that governs door travel, both up and down. Usually these limit switches are adjusted via a screw you access through a hole in the case.

Stand on a box or a ladder, and, armed with your remote and a screwdriver, adjust the screw until the door stops where you want it. Specifically:

  1. Turn the screw one turn in the direction specified by the user's guide.
  2. Activate the remote.
  3. Did the door stop where you want it to?
  4. If no, repeat steps 1 - 3. If yes, you're done.
Reply to
HeyBub

I had a Sears in one house for 10 years and another one here for 10 years. No problems with either. A friend has

3 LiftMasters for about 7 years. The light beam safety sensor went bad on one of them. That's the data here.
Reply to
trader4

Your opener is not broken, it is out of adjustment or the upward limit sensor mounted on the rail is not functioning properly. If you are physically able to work safely on a step ladder, you can probably do at least some of the troubleshooting and probably the repair yourself. First thing you need is the owner's manual for your model. If you can't locate it, the model # will be on the unit. Go on line and you'll probably find it freely available for download (Genie is a very popular brand for a good reason - it's a high quality product). Follow the instructions for setting the up and down limits. Look for a lot of gunk and/or a loose or broken wire that is attached to the upward limit sensor on the rail. You didn't say if all 3 episodes of malfunction are identical. If they are, and you believe you need a repairman, find a different one - regardless of the problem, it should not recur after only 1 year. Finally, if you do replace the unit, don't substitute a chain drive for a screw drive unit. The screw drives stay in adjustment better, are more durable and are quieter - that's why they are more expensive than chain units with otherwise identical specifications. I have one of each in my 2 car garage (each with a single door). I'd never go back to a chain drive opener.

Reply to
Peter

the very cheapest and smallest opener will open the heaviest double wide door if it is balanced like it should be anyway. More powerful openers are a waste of money and a scam.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If we went randomly to 10 garages or 100 garages or 1000 garages, how many do you think are balanced properly? I'm not much of a gambler, but I'd bet $100 a door on any number of doors you want.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a 150MPH wind code rated 16x7' door and Clopay never could get the springs set so you could open the door easily. They even tried different springs. If you get the spring tight enough to hold it at the bottom, you can't pull it down when it is up. This MoFo probably weighs 800-1000 pounds.

Reply to
gfretwell