New garage door question(s)

I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.

Thanks,

Harry

Reply to
havan'at'earthlink.net

on 9/29/2007 7:37 PM havan'at'earthlink.net said the following:

My wooden one has lasted more than 23 years, but it's under an overhang. :-) I would look for a vinyl or aluminum one. Both are light in weight. Steel can rust and is heavier than the others.

Reply to
willshak

Any new door should last well over 10 years, even the mid line ones. .

I chose a steel door because it was insulated (I need that) and the finish was guaranteed for many years. Wood can look good, but is more prone to need paint, or to rod and just need more maintenance than the other materials. I'm not familiar with vinyl on doors, but it should last for many years, the color is solid so it won't scratch and does not dent easily.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Steel with foam core for insulation which is for cold and warm climate.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Attached garage?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why should that matter?

Reply to
Harry Avant

Around here, there's been a rash of burglaries involving UNattached garages. They literally kick in the bottom panels of lightweight garage doors and make off with a lawnmower and other stuff. The cops figure they choose UNattached garages because the homeowner is less likely to hear the noise.

A heavier door might be indicated for unattached garages, unless you store your yard equipment in your living room.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What's the size? I am the garage door master.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Size? It's a standard single door for a two car garage.

Reply to
Harry Avant

Wood rots and needs painting.

Vinyl looks like vinyl.

That leaves steel.

Reply to
HeyBub

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage doors, makes the garage brighter.

Reply to
RickH

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

Reply to
HeyBub

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was the front door.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

Did he find that interesting? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

on 9/30/2007 5:50 PM Oren said the following:

Was it a Jehovah's Witness?

Reply to
willshak

Single sided steel door is fine then.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Eye balls widened and the comment was - "never mind" :-)) !

His female partner made the comment.

-- Oren

Oren

What was the reason for your metallic response? (And, I'm *not* about to be critical about that. I'm just curious.)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It don't matter. I enjoyed the facial expressions. They were priceless.

These were gang bangers; scoping the area. Of course I'm armed and dangerous :)

Sharp instruments git (sic) me cut!

-- Oren

Oren

Doesn't everyone?