Does your car meet our standards

Taking a clue from this apartment complex, it is time to put some standards for people posting here. They must have a nice looking car.

The Montana Valley Apartments manager noted that the complex doesn?t allow cars with rust, dents, flat tires, or bad paint to sit in front of its complex. And while there?s certainly something to be said about towing a car that?s been immobile for several weeks, tenants here are arguing that the standards are entirely unfair because it doesn?t allow them the time to get a repair?especially for people who are already living paycheck to paycheck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have the ugliest car ever made. A Scion Xb, first version. I love that car. Best car I ever had. Like a box, only boxier. I'm keeping it.

Well, maybe the Edsel was uglier. But the Scion Xb is up there.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I've seen a lot of them used for advertising though, made a nice billboard. One of my suppliers had one for deliveries and it could hold a lot of stuff.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It is just the HOA mentality run amok.

Reply to
gfretwell

Dan Espen snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:s38u5q$28s$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Ugliest? The AMC Gremlin. The Edsel and the Xb look fine.

Reply to
Boris

Was the Xb the one with the plastic interior so you could take it to a car wash, open the doors, and hose the vomit out?

Reply to
rbowman

If the people don't like the Apartment or HOA rules they should not be in them. They can always move.

For the two houses I have bought I always ask the real estate agent to check to see if there are any rules or covents for the property other than what the county has over all. Then put it in writing in the buying contract.

I wonder what they call a 'dent'? Could it be a very small one such as many cars have where some one parked next to them opens a door and puts a small dent in it ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's quite an elitist take on apartment affordability.

This issue has nothing to do with buying a house.

Reply to
kelown

+1
Reply to
badgolferman

Agree. It sort of bugs me that the car sort of looks okay covered with advertising.

When I bought mine, I went into the dealership, told the salesman that I wanted the ugliest car ever made. He didn't seem to appreciate the comment. Toyota redesigned it and took some of the ugliness away. Sales plummeted and they stopped making them. I don't think they understood what they had.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Beauty is in the eyes of...

Would not have picked the Gremlin.

Reply to
Dan Espen

True, if this is section 8 housing you won't get primo cars.

But the same rules apply from HOAs. One near me wants to ban pickup trucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had a Gremlin. Someone gave it to me and I ended up putting 50k miles on it before I sold it for $500. Other than the AMC problem of fouling the #5 spark plug it was pretty trouble free. I never figured out why it did that but I had 2 friends with early 70 AMCs and they had the same problem. Same plug.

Reply to
gfretwell

The biggest city in Lee County Florida (Cape Coral) banned pickups or any kind of truck. I think they are backing off of that a little but it is still pretty restrictive.They also have had other silly laws. I don't keep track but I know in the 80s you couldn't leave your shoes on the front porch. There are plenty of HOAs that ban parking anything in your driveway. It has to be in the garage and the door has to be closed.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't have a problem with the Gremlin. It fit well with the raft of road louses of the day, such as the Ford Pinto. To me, the Gremlin is a lot nicer looking than the Pacer, with its curved rear window.

My choice for ugly car would be the Pontiac Aztek or almost any electric car, the Scion (Kia? ???) that was advertised as being driven by a group of chipmunks, plus of course the Pacer. The Gremlin would be pretty far down the list.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

As I understand it, those covenants are changed by a vote of all the homeowners who are subject to those covenants. I bet when you buy in those neighborhoods, you agree to abide by the covenant and any changes that are made according to some rules set out in the agreement.

My knowledge is limited, since I'd never buy such a house.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Most people who put up with shit like that volunteer to put up with it. They feel it keeps property values higher.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

'59 Rambler.