Does your car meet our standards

Been in this one since 1982. My second home purchase. I did a bit of looking about 8? years ago but not real serious, and decided to stay. Wifey wants a different house to clean but I'm not ready yet

Reply to
Clare Snyder

We've owned three houses. The second one had an attached garage. I kind of miss it, but I don't miss the stink of cars inside the house. Not the whole house, but the room adjacent to the garage.

Ah. We might leave it open if we're working outside, but that's generally only on the weekends (and only May-October), since I have a regular job.

The garage used to be the workshop, but in 2006 we built a 20x40 building for that purpose. One advantage to not having itchy feet is that you can make things just the way you like them.

This year we plan to remodel the kitchen. My bay of the garage will be turned over to materials storage and I'll park on the driveway.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

When it comes to crapping, few birds beat a Canadian Goose.

Reply to
Rapida Muerte

I ose similar means too but in this particular case put my humane Hav-a-Hart trap in the garage. Did not catch the squirrel after a couple of days and put the trap outside the garage and ended up catching a raccoon.

One year I must have trapped and removed a half dozen squirrels before I trapped the groundhog I was after.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Our HOA is only slightly active with only one or two neighbors taking charge of contracting snow plowing in the winter. Part of that is reimbursed by the state. This year we had a little more snow than usual and it cost us $130 each. Last year was practically nothing. In my friends development HOA dues are $450 a year.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I had a fire once in my garage. I was real happy it was detached. Fortunately the physical damage was minimal but a lot of smoke contamination. There are a lot of fire code rules about attached garages that may not have been followed in the past so be careful. One in particular that gets abused sometimes in older houses is no sleeping rooms next to or above a garage.

Reply to
gfretwell

We pay $225 a year but that is usually just the ones who want a ramp key. There is no requirement that you pay if you don't want a key. Most think that is a bargain for a private ramp, a third of a mile from the end of the "no wake" zone and gulf access. 75-80% of our residents have at least one boat.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:00:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

You mean you weren't living in it? All the accouterments no water, sewer, heating, AC, windows. What could go wrong? You could at least gone down to the port and got one of those shipping containers!

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 06:41:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...

Ain't that ducky?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 07:42:39 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

You live in Capistrano?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:47:34 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Mice are even more problematic. AMHIKT I park outside. The wire insulation is soy based and mice love it.

Reply to
Tekkie©

No, the swallows were lost.

Reply to
rbowman

You haven't dealt with porcupines. One ate the heater hose and front brake line on my pickup. The night before I'd slept in one of the leantos on the Long Trail and there was a porcupine snooping around. Had I known what his cousin was up to I would have shot the bastard.

When I finally got off the mountain, which is fun in a F150 with no front brakes, I stopped in an auto parts place. The guy asked me why I needed replacements on a 6 month old pickup and I told him a porcupine ate them. He asked how I knew. I said I wasn't positive but the quills and porcupine shit under the hood were strong circumstantial evidence.

Reply to
rbowman

It's way over a decade since we've parked an actual car in the garage, but I do have a motorcycle in there and it doesn't stink. When we lived in Germany back in the early 90's, we rented a floor of a house from a German family who lived upstairs. It was a bit of a hard sell, but I got permission to bring my motorcycle into the living room, where it stayed for about 6 months while I worked on it. It helped immensely that I spoke German.

We have a 16x16 storage shed in the back yard, but that's bulgingly full of my wife's planting supplies. That shed clearly violates the HOA rules for height, but they approved it so it's all good.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

No such thing - it's a Canada goose. and there are more of them in the USA than in Canada (although there are too many here now too - to think they were put on the endangered list back in the sixties or seventies and I remember a sighting of them to be something special.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They're Canadian and they're here illegally. Some demented democrat told them to surge our border.

Reply to
Rapida Muerte

I have seen the change in the USA. They have shortened the migrant hunting season and added a local hunting season as these geese are pests in many areas.

Back when I hunted migrant Canada geese there was a four bird daily limit and you would be arrested if you shot a snow goose.

The Canada limit started to drop and snow geese became pests. Flocks would invade the marsh and change the ecosystem. Hunters were allowed to hunt snow geese with practically no bag limit.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

What's even worse is the appropriate osprey nests before the osprey get back from their winter vacation.

I never figured out why the osprey don't kill the goose and eat her eggs. They must be Republicans -- a lot of squawking about the problem and no action.

Reply to
rbowman

Snow geese population control.

Reply to
rbowman

My husband is adamant about parking our cars in the garage. Even when we stored his table saw and radial arm saw in the garage, everything had to be pushed against the wall when the day's work was done so we could pull the cars in. Sure, there were periods of time (especially when we were building the workshop and the driveway was full of lumber) that we keep the cars out, but as a rule the cars were always in the garage at night.

I conjecture it's been way over a decade since you lived anywhere that gets appreciable snow. It's very nice to not have to scrape frost, snow, and ice off the car in the morning before going to work.

We have a 20x20 garage, a 20x40 workshop, a 16x16 storage shed, and a lean-to on the back of the garage that used to be a chicken coop and now is used for storage. No HOA. We can park our utility trailers out front of the shop if we want to, although I generally prefer to park them behind it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...