citrus fertilizer 6-4-6

I cleaned out the shed and returned to Home Depot things I overbought over time and never used. The wife gets the orange store credit for her fun.

She bought bags of "Vigoro Citrus & Avocado Plant Food" of NPK 6-4-6.

Alls I ask is what do they do with it to make it specific to those plants?

Reply to
mike

Not much. To a certain extent, it's a marketing scheme.

Different plants prefer different balances of NPK. If you have an avocado and buy the one labeled "avocado", you don't have to think about it.

I buy a couple of different fertilizers. I use more phosphorus and less nitrogen when I plant garlic in the fall. I use more nitrogen in the spring when it's putting up new growth. I don't worry about whether it's labeled "roses" or "vegetables" or "evergreens". I just look at the numbers and buy what I need.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Hell, I just bought a bag of triple six or triple eight- depending on which was cheaper at the Home Depot- for years and tossed it on the lawn and the flowering shrubs along with some lime.

My subdivision doesn't award a Yard-Of-The-Month stick-in sign but if it did, we would have been a lock all summer ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

What else is in the bag ? What you have is a small ammount of plant food of the 3 main ingreadents and a lot of filler material. Sometims the filler material will have other chemicals in that plants need.

If that is all that is in the bag, you could have bought 8-8-8 or 10-10-

10 and not used as much per square foot.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's nice. I want nice, big, heads of garlic and I'm willing to cater to the plants' needs to get it.

I don't fertilize my lawn or shrubs (except that I blow the leaves under the shrubs every fall and leave them to compost).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...