Does car block heater need ground?

For Canadian winters, the car has a built-in engine block heater, powered by 120v house current. Last spring the third pin (ground) detached from the male connector. Do I really need it, i.e. do I really need grounding, when the block heater is powered up (max. 3 hours) ?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Functionally, no, it's just safety ground, the neutral carries the return path current.

Given the application and that w/ snow and all so is damp environment I'd probably repair it for that reason (safety, that is).

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Sure, you can only replace the cord. Think safety. All our cars came with block heater but haven't use them. In old days when cars had carbs. we always did. Also A/C system is now automatic climate control. As soon as engine satrts running car interior gets warm air right away.

They may not sell cord only, then you have get heater and only use the cord from it. Or you can replace the plug yourself.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Third pin (the round one) is for safety. The unit should function without it. But, there is risk of electric shock to you or others.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have you considered replacing the plug? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

+1

The car is also sitting on rubber tires. If the hot shorts to the engine, now the whole car is energized. Walk out when the ground is damp, grab the metal door handle, not a good thing. If it's plugged into a GFCI outlet, like new garage, outdoor wiring has, then that should prevent harm, but there isn't any guarantee where the heater will be used. Easy enough to put a new plug on it.

Reply to
trader4

It does sound like a good way to stop "car hoppers" and you even have plausible deniability if it is simply a defective heater.

OTOH this should be on a GFCI anyway so the safety issue is mitigated..

Reply to
gfretwell

On 10/26/2013 11:53 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Does "should" always equate to "is" for a movable DUT...???

Reply to
dpb