Drywall doesn't meet ceiling?

I spent a large part of last weekend stripping wallpaper and removing crown molding and chair rail from my dining room. I was surprised to find that the top of the drywall is about an inch and a half short of meeting the ceiling in that room. From a redecorating perspective, it's not that big a deal since we'll be installing pressed tin ceilings with a cornice, so the gap will be covered again, but I've never seen this before.

The ceiling gives a little when I push up on the edges, but seems sturdy in the middle; the whole ceiling doesn't push up.

Is this common? Is it a sign of poor construction? Is it something I should rectify? Does anyone know if there's any kind of insulation value lost from having it this way?

TIA for any opinions/information!

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

It was quite common in homes that were just an inch taller than standard

8-12 foot ceilings. I remember doing a home with the gap on the bottom. Home owner was torqued but it was allowed by the local authorities at the time. I would cut thin strips of drywall and install them. At least fire tape them for a good seal. Check the insulation before installation of the drywall. If there is none, you might consider sprayed foam in the walls. I had my block home done in Tempe 3 years ago. What a difference it made. Exterior walls only, including the garage, 1925 square feet, just under a grand.
Reply to
SQLit

well they did a poor job of installing the sheet rock. I would never leave a room that way. It doesnt matter a bunch if you are doing cornice but its not correct. Insullation value is minimal unless its an outside wall. I am not sure why you can push up on the ceiling near the edge? Do you mean push up the sheetrock ceiling? It should not move at all. unless you mean the tiny bit of bend between the ceiling joists? Is this an older house or new? either way it should have been done correctly. Good contrators do not leave gaps like that

Reply to
mikey55

Maybe the ceiling LIFTED? Do you have roof trusses?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

One wall is, the other three are not.

between

That's probably it. There's not a lot of give, just a little. It feels like it's lifting a little, then bending a little.

Built in 1980.

It's weird, because none of the other rooms are like this. All of the walls in the adjacent rooms meet the ceiling.

I will probably do as SQLit recommended and patch them up before we install the cornice.

Thanks for the responses :)

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer