Does your car meet our standards

Yeah, people who work for a living and don't have an air conditioned job.

Reply to
gfretwell

You just need to let the baby touch the stove sometimes. Stop providing services they won't pay for. They will come around pretty fast. We seem to have a pretty good group here. Our dues are about twice what we actually spend most years on general maintenance so we have a nice reserve. We don't actually provide that much tho. Our streets are public roads, one of the 3 only communities in the "village" where that is true and they are all right here in this cluster. We mow the park and the area around the boat ramp. We maintain that ramp and 3 docks. Your yard is your business. We used to mow vacants if the owner paid his dues but we stopped that too. There are not many vacants here anyway now. We are voluntary pay and we still get 85-90%. One thing that helps is you can't get a ramp key without paying. We have no more power than what we can negotiate as neighbors and that is fine with us.

Reply to
gfretwell

I doubt the law requires an HOA but if you want the county to own your roads the developer needs to cede over whatever property is required for the right of way and build the roads up to the county standard before they will take them. The only reasonable way to have private roads is to have a legal entity such as an HOA to maintain them. I bet the developers choose the HOA route. Most HOA property could never come close to the county rules about rights of way and setbacks and still be able to build as many houses as they want to build. Condos and Co-ops are a different thing. Again, it is usually the developer who wants it to be a condo. More money in it for them. Otherwise they are just building rental apartments. You might have a tougher time getting zoning for that.

Reply to
gfretwell

My wife and I relocate every 5-6 years or so, or about half as often as I moved during my 20-year military career. When we were looking at houses for this latest move, we saw several houses where the garage door doesn't face the street. We added that to our long list of instant disqualifications.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I mostly learned to drive in a '62 Rambler Classic. I've never forgiven the Romneys. At lest the fins were mostly gone.

Reply to
rbowman

Ban pickups around here and a lot of people would be walking.

Reply to
rbowman

My brother in law puked out the window, fortunately. He wasn't amused when I pulled into a car wash and made him wash it off.

Reply to
rbowman

Most populous city in the county.

Reply to
gfretwell

People shoot ARs in the yard in Montana ;)

This is the house we rented in Paradise Valley (the green one next to the red barn). The guy at the bottom of the hill had a 300 yard range across that valley.

gfretwell

I live in eastern Ohio - no inspections or emissions - and I live right on the border of PA. I buy $500 cars from PA Craigslist that won't pass inspection and drive 'em home... I've owned 20 some cars over the last 4 years or so. It's practically a hobby at this point. To see how far I can push the PA police... they really gave me dirty looks driving cars with no hoods around.

I'm currently driving a dinged up '89 Olds Cutlass Cierra and/or a super smashed up '93 Geo Metro convertible with enough of the floors and rockers rotted that I can almost drive it Fred Flinstone style. Needless to say, all 6 cars parked on my property right now would likely be towed from that apartment complex. I really don't think they'd like my super rusty 1956 Olds 88 with no windshield, even though it starts and drives!

Reply to
Michael Trew

All that stuff is paid for by tax dollars where I live. Cheapskates don't get to ruin it for everybody else.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Both you and micky thought I indicated a unanimous vote. "All" indicated that all homeowners in the covenant can participate in voting, implying not just the governing body.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I think I'd like a garage door that doesn't face the street. As it is, if we wanted to hire snow removal it would be difficult to find someplace to put the snow.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Leaving a street-facing garage door open is an invitation for a democrat to steal your stuff.

Reply to
jimmy

I think that is correct. When we moved here there was an HOA set up to maintain roads in our 20 home development. Roads did not meet state standards with grade, no curbs or sidewalks or storm drains.

When I was president of the HOA I shepherded the take over of the roads by the state by a quirk in the law. I figure I have saved residents over $300 a year each. A friend is vp of his HOA and tells me of all the problems they have to contend with which includes taking residents to court for not paying fees.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I have to keep my garage door closed. If I do not, the birds will try to build a nest inside or crap all over everything.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My God, you're hateful. Doesn't it eat away at you?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Heh. I came home one day, pulled my car into the garage, left the door open (intending to come back a few minutes later), went into the house to change out of my good clothes, and came back out. In the meantime, a mallard female walked into the garage. When she noticed me, she took flight, quacking like hell. I screamed. I don't know which one of us was more startled by the other.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

We used to look forward to the swallows returning to the garage in the spring.

Reply to
rbowman

I leave mine open and birds will nest and door is closed at night. Also a couple of years ago when I went in attached garage several times a squirrel was running out. Don't know what he was up to but I hear they can wreck havoc with your car's wiring.

Reply to
invalid unparseable