Price Of Lightbulbs

There are more 'tweaks' on a modern camera than there were on, say, an EMI

2001. Different, of course, since registration is no longer an issue. And stability is very much better. But they still required skilled setting up.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would appear some people think it is. And that they need a CRT to do it.

Reply to
dennis

You might as well say there's no need to control audio levels - just stick up a mic and send it to line.

You tend to start off with a standard camera line up but then adjust it for the actual light/lighting conditions. Of course if you had all the time in the world you could light things to a fixed standard - or only shoot in mid summer midday sunlight - but life ain't like that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But surely in an environment where Dave's sandwich wrapper is hazardous trade waste, getting shop assistants to handle broken glass coated with toxic chemicals ain't gonna fly?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Tell that to the Inuit..and just WAIT till a worldwide recession cuts atmospheric pollution down. And the next sunpsot cycle kicks in.

Since Katrina weve been in a NAO downside as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've just bought a modest stock from

who are cheaper.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Don't sweat it Dave. "dennis" is a died in the wool engineer. Probably from the same class that produced the LS5/9. Marvelous spec, measured beautifully, sounded crap. As with most things in the real world the measurements are OK up to a point but they are not the be all and end al= l.

As for LCD v CRT. I have LCD computer monitors they are much better than= any CRT computer monitor I have had. My TV is a couple of years old =A34=

00 CRT with Dolby Surround it is much better than any but the most expensiv= e LCD TV's I've seen.

Oh and the other problem with LCD TV's is the delay in the pictures between the input connector and the crystals switching. And we aren't talking a couple of mS but 2 or 3 frames. Anyone specing a broadcast sou= nd area that has any knowledge insists that at least one monitor is CRT for= sync checking.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Obviously you haven't done it then;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

And it shows sometimes;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

That doesn't happen on my TV, either with the HDMI or the scart rgb. I dare say it can happen on cr@p TVs as Sky HD+ has adjustable delay on the sound output.

Reply to
dennis

It used to show all the time. The outside broadcasts used to get colour casts every time the lighting changed. Now it is automated and it is corrected most of the time. It could be better if they included a remote light monitor in the scene so real adjustment could be made.

Reply to
dennis

Think you need to do some research. It's in the nature of all LCDs to introduce a vision delay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gives time for Virgin Media's sound to catch up... :-)

(We used frequently to get terrible sound sync. problems. Actually has improved more recently.)

Reply to
Rod

Well in general, experience would suggest that if Mr. Gabriel says it, then there is a pretty good chance that the information is sound.

However, the first actual report published (I am aware of anyway) that showed the flat temperature "trend" was probably the Hadley Centre 2007 one in Dec 07 at the UN climate conferance in Bali. They showed that the mean global temperature, while approx 0.4 degrees above the 1961-1990 average, had remained about level since 2000. Data from NASA's Goddard Institute published later confirmed the findings.

There was a another report published around the same time (in Science IIRC) about improving the global surface prediction modelling in light of the discrepancy between predictions and reality so far this century.

The BBC doing its best to be as unbiased as usual, spun Hadley Centre report as "2007 figures confirm warming trend" or similar, and then tucked the actual results down the bottom of the page in the hope no one would actually look at them.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think I shall print that post out and show it two the three racks engineers on my next OB this weekend.

Auto white/black gets you into the right ball park but auto white between cameras can be *very* different even if they are looking at the same white object when the buttons are pressed. Preset, carefully aligned in a workshop can be close but they still drift. Colour matching between multiple cameras is a skilled job and the automatics are hopeless at it.

Bloody engineers, haven't a clue how the real world works.

So is this "light monitor" in full sun or deep shade or some where in between?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've not been able to locate the actual report to Bali, but I could find this report from Hadley Centre in 2008

it shows a slower increase in 5 year trends, it specifically warns against interpreting it as evidence that warming has 'stopped'.

Do you have a link to the Hadley report that indicated that warming has stopped?

Reply to
OG

Now it's you wasting your time. Mr Dennis (who apparently posts from a home) once worked for the BBC for five minutes. So is now an expert on all things broadcasting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

So since when have you been a TV cameraman then?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not off hand. There was a BBC news site one that did list the figures at one time. A search for Hadley Centre on the news site might turn up something. I seem to recall it was drenched in the usual BBC hype but did include the temperature readings to 2007 with the prediction for

2008 as well. This is not to say that climate change has ceased - only that the warming was not happening as predicted in the face of a decade of increasing CO2 generation. The suggestion was that the models did not take sufficient account of natural variation, or sunspot activity and various other factors. I recall seeing a prediction that they thought 2009 would see a global rise in recorded temperatures again. I guess we will see.
Reply to
John Rumm

Hopefully the cameraman only sets such things on very simple stuff. They have enough to do just operating the camera without having to try doing extra things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)