Price Of Lightbulbs

I understand about audio. More than I sometimes wish.

... and I shoot stills, so I have some idea. Mr Camera is going to be dealing with aperture & shutter speed. I assume that like a stills camera this is done with a meter. Then there's white balance & contrast to sort out. It sounds to me as if this is done by looking at a picture on a monitor - which TBH doesn't sound terribly reliable. So it can't be that - what *is* that CRT for?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

So point it at a test target and let it calibrate. It still doesn't require an expensive crt monitor.

Whichever is important. Who knows, if you actually examine the histogram you might be able to capture highlights and shadows.

Reply to
dennis

Drivel without the hacksaw ...

Reply to
geoff

I didn't claim that but you apparently do.

Reply to
dennis

Like prating about with calibrating stuff on the fly as you claim they do? Personally I think they have enough to do pointing it in the correct place and managing focus.

Reply to
dennis

Sometimes it's as much as 25mS. That's about the same as you get listening to an event 7 metres away.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Do you want some more time?

Reply to
OG

Speaking of BBC types, whatever happened to Matthew Marks of this parish?

Or Barry Bucknall?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Read my first sentance.

Colour matching on real pictures does, a vector scope isn't a lot of use except on bars or this "histogram" you keep wibbling about. Is that some invented name for a waveform monitor?

Er, all places are important. Real world example a football match with the sun only illuminating half the pitch. Play goes from full sun to shade, probably 3 or 4 stops of iris and a change in lift. Reverse angle camera can go from the play in full sun to fully zoomed in with the x2 on a 70:1 lens looking at the managers in deep shade.

Racks engineers have their work cut out in such circumstances and they'll be racking 2 cameras at the same time, maybe more but I hope not for their sake!

Not if they are below black level or above peak white.

Bloody engineers, haven't a clue how the real world works.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Still at the BBC last time I heard (emailed him a couple of years ago)

Reply to
geoff

Shutters are not normally used on TV cameras they are "open hole". On multicamera outside broadcasts Mr Camera only does framing and focus. The racks engineer back in the truck does aperture and colour balance.

Looking at the picture from the cameras and matching them, it's a damn sight quicker to get exposure and lift correct looking at a picture than a vector scope or waveform monitor. The "toadstool" on the OCP has three functions, iris (to and fro), lift (rotate) and overpress to switch that enginers monitor to that camera. The monitor would have truck out on it normally so any racks engineer can match his cameras to output.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah your right Dave, I guess our combined 60+ years of broadcast experience doesn't count for anything. As geoff said "Drivel without the hacksaw ...".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well almost like a normal colour programme. It was very good considering the source material but it's a great pity that the orginal quad tape didn't survive, that would have been an awful lot better. Though if your watching DTTV on an LCD screen you might not be able to tell.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Walled up in a door, behind some hardboard?

Reply to
Bob Eager

At this point I have a silly question to ask...

I am using a 22 inch CRT monitor, why do I find it far better to use PhotoShop to adjust photos before printing, on it than if I use my wife's 19 inch LCD monitor? I find her monitor difficult to use and gives me the wrong impression of how the photo will be printed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

There is a point to consider here. I use PhotoShop 7 to make our photos ready for printing and I find the histogram very helpful in getting the brightness and contrast right, but I can never do this on the wife's LCD monitor.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's another pair of pants and underpants in the wash basket :-(

Isn't there a way of warning about the (in)continent of a post?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Another silly question Dave...

What is a camera mans duty when filming/recording? I know he has a mate that alters the focus, called a focus puller, but exactly what does the camera op do? Please.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Most TV camera operators do their own focus. Occasionally on drama they will ask for someone to do focus for them if they have a tricky move and framing to do at the same time.

Film camera operators just point, they have a focus puller and clapper loader.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was going to answer your other post with this. Is your wife's monitor lined up correctly? Is your printer driver correctly lined up?

I've used PhotoBox as on online print service, they send out a calibration print with your first order and have a digital copy on their web site to compare against:

is very little difference between that image on my screen and a print held next to it. Even without the physical print you can use it to adjust your monitor.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice