Price Of Lightbulbs

That's umm complete bollocks. The best that I've seen in studio CRTs is distorted in one plane. All others show pincushion distortion. The best CRT display that I used was the Radius Blue which was designed for proofing colour print. It had a dark hood to reduce the colour interference from reflected light (off clothing etc) and it was TBH still crap as far as distortion goes and the colour range was no better than the current LCD monitors sold by Apple.

Appeal to an unidentified "graphic designer" is obviously so convincing. As I said, if he hasn't noticed the distortion of his CRT and as I didn't say, if he hasn't noticed that the phosphors on his CRT have aged over the last 8 years then he's not the all-conquering colour expert

*you* claim him to be. And FWIW I worked in broadcast TV in the 1990s so I've had experience of calibrating and using Trinitron studio monitors.

Gamut makes perfect sense in this context, look it up.

ollocks.

No, gamut is a term widely used in any work involving colour reproduction.

Maybe if you stood up, your voice wouldn't be so muffled?

Luddites hold onto technologies long past their sell by dates.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Or indeed cope with the fact that replacing every lighbulb in Britain will achieve bugger all? It's yet another green figleaf for people who are mathematically challenged.

I got faced with one of the stupid buggers today at the Co-Op. I bought my goods and asked for a carrier bag. "We don't do those anymore, the Co-Op has decided that it will not take part in the destruction of the environment." So I asked how I was supposed to take the goods home. "We can sell you our Eco-bag for £2.50." I examined the bag label, it was made in China and had been flown half-way around the globe. I asked in what way this was environmentally friendly. Stupid bugger scratched his head and said he hadn't thought about that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Loads of shops here in Melbourne sell them for about $1 (50p). South Australia is outlawing single use plastic carriers from May and already has returnable deposits on cans and drink bottles to keep them out of landfill.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Wow, that will save the planet.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I assume you work.You have paid for the subsidy with your taxes.

Again, your taxes, not profit deducted from your supplier

All the more reason not to force them on us

I have to pay 15p for each low energy lamp I purchace at the wholesalers. It is called the WEEE charge. Soon they may be charging 5p for a carrier bag as well.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So it's yet another 'stealth' tax.

Well I suppose it may work in the same way as non means-tested benefits, in that it is ultimately cheaper to give the benefit to all than have the expense of a means testing infrastructure. Perhas I should offer the CFLs on Freecycle.

Well, that sounds like another tax. Deposits get returned as an incentive to 'do he right thing' - unless the WEEE charge is returned to you, I don't see it as the same thing at all.

As for carrier bags, I carry a few in my coat at all times, so I rarely, if ever pay a bag fee. It is a bit like living in the Soviet Union, 'though - there, everyone would carry a string carrier bag on the off-chance they would come across something worth buying. Funnily enough, my mother did the same in the UK the 70s. I don't think there is anything stopping you buying a pack of bags at wholesale prices and carrying a few when you go shopping - all that is needed is a bit of planning.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

There is electronics in CFLs. If you buy g23 (IIRC) based tubes there is no electronics and should be no WEEE charge. They are also better if you have space for a ballast and the tube.

Reply to
dennis

I have converted a number of lights to use 4-pin tubes with separate control gear, such as...

one is in my hallway.

The combination of the Philips matchbox ballasts (Blue - instant-start) and the GE 2D tubes which give good illumination from cold can be quite desirable in places where instant start and good initial light levels are desirable. I've use them in a bathroom too, and frequent switching doesn't seem to have given short tube life.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

wholesalers.

I am buying one of those on Monday. It let you know I am charged the WEEE.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The message from %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) contains these words:

On this matter I agree with you. But your mistake was to pay for the goods without securing the carrier bag.

Next time, stack up your trolley. Taken it to the checkout. Unload it on to the belt. Let the idiot ring it all through the till. Ask for carrier bags. THEN refuse to pay and walk away.

Repeat at another aisle.

Repeat at another Co-op.

Reply to
Appin

You aren't answering my point. You said that "It's not impossible to make the geometry of a 4:3 CRT as good as any LCD". It is that statement that I dispute.

The colour of LCD vs CRT is a matter of taste and dispute; I do not intend to discuss it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It's also something a CRT can never cure.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Fairynuff.

I do find, however, that the possibilities of mis adjusting color balance on modern screens AND video software vastly exceeds what you could do with old CRT sets.

I spent a merry half hour waiting while my wife finished shoe shopping or something, adjusting the LCD TV sets on display so that the cheap ones had the nice subtle graded color balance that the expensive plasma ones had.

For example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's wrong with LCD tvs ? I was comparing a Samsung 46" LCD tv vs a comparable Panasonic Plasma screen in a shop and for me the Samsung blew it away. The Panasonic won a Consumer Association shootout too.

David

Reply to
mangled_us

Which shit is best is not the issue.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

That's utter nonsense. I've worked as a software engineer since 1982 and have had several dozens of CRT monitors from as many different manufaturers.. *All* the LCD monitors I've had would have beaten

*any* of the CRT monitors I've ever had. If you are going to tell me that the top end CRTscan outperform middle ranking LCDs than maybe they can but so what ? How many people are given top end CRT displays with their =A3500 desktop machine ?

If I was asked on the phone by a future employer whether I wanted an LCD or CRT monitor without having the chance to spec it myself I would choose the LCD in a heartbeat. Same goes if I was allowed to choose it on a fixed budget.

Last CRT monitor I bought cost =A3200 about 10 years ago. It's 15 " displays 1024x768 at best and 76 Hz (IIRC). My most recent LCD display cost me =A3277 last year, it's a 26" diagonal, displays

1920x1200 at 60 Hz and blows away any CRT below =A3300.

I don't know what planet you're from Dave but you sure ain't from rould here.

David

Reply to
mangled_us

It is only necessary to establish that there is a risk that severe effects will ensue in order for it to be worth avoiding. The reason for this is that the effects are likely to be so severe as to make any costs incurred avoiding them to pale in comparison,

All of these are very well established. In particular CO2 is very well known to cause global warming and the mechanisms and the size of the effects are very well understood.

No, any way of reducing CO2 will reduce global warming and all avenues including energy reduction should be pursued,

A 0.1% energy saving will save 0.1% of energy. The advantage of changing lightbulbs is there is no downside whatsoever and so obviously it is a good thing to do.

Reply to
mangled_us

You must be one of the colour blind males mentioned elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To quote yourself:-

'I don't know what planet you're from Dave but you sure ain't from rould here.'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

mangled snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

With the greatest of respect...

Bollocks!

It would be, assuming the replacement is acceptable.

The only decent CFL I have used recently is:

20% of my order for 10 were flickering wildly. Replaced for free, but if and significant percentage are DOA then that counts against the savings in pollution.

I'll see how long they last, but they are the first ones I've used where the light is actually anywhere near the brightness alluded to on the box. Might as well watch a neon bulb as use Tesco's x-for-a-pound jobbies (I tried them, last week).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S