Price Of Lightbulbs

Stop right there.

We have catalogued a plethora of downsides.

And that's the whole point.

Well 1, 2 are correct. 3 is arguable and 4 is arrant nonsense.

5 is pretty much idiocy too.Of course it makes a 'real difference' 0.1% is real. Its just a totally inconsequential response to a much larger problem.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is no such thing as inconsequential in chaotic systems like the climate.

Reply to
dennis

Untrue.

I assume the remainder of your posting is equally invalid, and therefore not worth reading.

Reply to
Huge

well, you seem to have ignored the fact that just about everyone who has posted here has agreed with the proposition that LCDs beat CRTs and that the figures for colour gamut for high end LCDs beat those for high end CRTs, maybe it's you who has the eyesight problem ?

Davis

Reply to
mangled_us

And what passes for rational argument on Planet Zarg, Dave ?

David

Reply to
mangled_us

You need a 23W CFL (25W with outer bulb) to get same light output as a regular pearl or clear 100W filament lamp. Ignore any contrary claims on the carton (which are comparisons with softone lamps).

These CFL's are pretty impossible to find in retail shops at the moment, so it's quite a struggle to find 100W replacement lamps. Costco had some Feit 23W ones many months back and I bought 16 (well, just 4 initially). I have 8 of them in service, and I'm impressed with them. So far, no failures, and no perceptable drop in light output. 4 are running in enclosed (almost sealed) fittings where the lamps get very hot (2 of them cap-up), but they still work fine. One has been running almost 24x7 since May, and is still fine. The bubble pack does claim 100W equivalence (correctly in this case), but also claims same physical size as 100W bulb, which is clearly garbage (I modified one fitting to make them fit in place of 100W bulb). Sadly, Costco ran out of the BC ones, and have only had ES ones in stock for the last couple of months. I hope they get the BC ones back in. There's also a lower power version (can't remember exactly what rating) in BC and ES.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Agreed - and with a decent phosphor.

I got a couple of Philips CFLs this weekend, thinking they'd be better than Tesco's crap, 15W was the biggest on sale. Still crap - utterly utterly yellow. More like the light from a flaming torch than a light bulb.

listing 150w and 200W GLS. This is what I suspected. High Street shops may stop selling them, but they'll still be available from Internet suppliers until such a time as no-on in the world, or at least Europe (that's Europe, not just the EU) wants them anymore. Which probably means that BC will die out eventually, but I can't see it being impossible to buy ES for a long time.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to go back to lampspecs for some more. I'll try the 30W CFLs next - and buy a job lot of GLS whilst I'm about it.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I offered you a logical argument, a sequence of claims that would need to be true for mandating cfls to make any sense. Its not opinion on each point, its simply laying out the sequence of logic behind the debate. Then I separately offered an opinionated summary of the position so far.

Unfortunately rather than responding to the basic clear chain of logic this whole topic is based on, you simply parroted a popular political viewpoint, avoiding any logical basis for your claims. With your standpoint there is no argument to be had, because quite simply you're not presenting something that's logical.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You'll have to add in all those who's job it is to set up TV cameras, then, for the pictures you watch at home. CRTs are still the only real option for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rubbish, you could set them up using the histograms without any need to see a picture.

Reply to
dennis

Why? A small and very rapidly diminishing number of people watch on CRTs at home. The main manufacturers have ceased production of them anyway (and some tube manufacturers have gone bust due to the faster than expected cease in demand for them).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Aha. Proof by assertion.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for displaying your lack of knowledge about this too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And that is a very real problem. Although I believe some pro sizes are being re-manufactured. There's a big price premium on these things for pro use - so it can be worthwhile. For example a pro 12" CRT monitor for field use costs over 2000 quid.

One of the major problems is setting the black levels correctly on the fly

- and LCDs are useless for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh the irony!

Reply to
OG

As opposed to proof by assertion I suppose

Reply to
OG

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

And no doubt Dennis is a broadcast engineer;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , mangled snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com scribeth thus

LCD's are fine for computer displays but CRT's, good ones, still have the edge over anything .else for TV pix:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

They probably do at the BBC these days...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I am sure an expensive and extremely well set up CRT can beat an average production LCD, but so what?> at the 150 quid a monitor level LCD wins hands down on every count.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher