Y adaptor for 2 bulbs in celing pendant lampholder?

I am in the UK.

I have got a lampsocket hanging from the ceiling in the middle of a room like this:

single CFL is not bright enough so I want to hang two CFL lamps from one lampsocket.

Is it possible to get a "Y" adapter which plugs into the existing lampsocket and then allows me to plug in two CFLs?

Reply to
Alex

Never seen anything like that. Why not just change the fitting to a multiple lamp holder that you like?

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Certainly used to be, I particularly remember lighting on market stalls making use of them (often in scary looking ways) this was 20+ years ago mind.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They all vanished in the early 1970's when it became illegal to sell electrical accessories which don't conform to the relevant British Standard. It would appear that manufacturers didn't think it worth the effort to get all the less common electrical accessories included in the standards. You might still find them at car boot and junk sales, but check them over for any faults. Most accessories of that area were quite well made and providing they haven't been badly handled, will still be in good condition. They may not incorporate all the safety features currently used though.

You could always make your own:

Andrew Gabriel

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:03:55 GMT someone who may be Alex wrote this:-

Given that compact fluorescent lamps up to the equivalent of a GLS bulb of over 100W are available, for example

this looks like poor lighting design.

The answer is to install two or more light fittings in suitable locations. Best would be fittings with built in control gear, for example to take 2D lamps like

separate switching is probably a good idea.

Reply to
David Hansen

Not any more, but its not hard to wire 2 pendants into 1 rose. Or to buy a CFL, the come in powers over over 100w from a few suppliers, eg

meow2222

Scary !!

I remember the old double lighting adaptors from the 1950's / 60's when people used to use them and plug electric irons into them.

Reply to
the_constructor

Yes, and here it is in all it's bakelite glory:

dom

Yeah .I remember them as well.. I'm sure fairgrounds used to use them as well but they might have been for lower voltage use .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I've got one in my 'useful box' but sorry you're not having it! ;-) As others have said, I'm pretty sure you can't buy them any more.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yep those are the devices, not seen any on retail sale for donkeys years. Not sure if I still have a couple kicking about and the matching BC plugs so you could power, say your electric iron, from the lighting circuit.

I wouldn't advise using such a device though, much better to fit extra fittings in the right place(s) or up the wattage of your CFL.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:45:17 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

They are amusing if one wants to horrify a "safety" person.

Indeed.

Reply to
David Hansen

unswitched.

There was another variety where both lampholders came off at an angle, to form a true "Y".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

To do that you need the full set, 2-way bulb adaptor & BC plug. Pvc flex should not be used in the BC plug, only rubber, since the flex sits directly on the hot bulb. The worst part of these things wasnt the adaptor/plug/cable, which was dodgy enough, but the fact that users would handle the top end of the fitted bulb holder, which in the later years of round pin wiring had frequently lost some if its (single) insulation, so you were fumbling with bare uninsulated mains wires that you couldnt see too much from below, with the bulb in your face, while standing on a chair or bed.

Maybe thats why iron beds declined in popularity, darwin effect....

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have just had a look in my junk box and yes, I have just found a BC adaptor that you can plug a 2pin plug into. Think I might put it on ebay. should raise a couple of quid as a collectors item. It says on it, 3A max 250V and is made by Volex. Cream in colour. I did have a brown BC adaptor that just took a cable but can't find that yet.

Reply to
the_constructor

No, that was after a nasty incident involving an incontinent grandmere and two English airmen with a valve radio transmitter.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You really need a boiling ring plugged in - one of those made from a spiral of bare resistance wire in a ceramic former, that came with a little rack for making toast with.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I still have a very useful Morphy-Richards 3A bayonet to two-pin shaver socket adapter that came with my fathers old electric razor.

David

Reply to
David Lee

Twin twisted pair cotton covered rubber flex of course.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Jeeze. Didn't think the bayonet fitting CFL's went to such high powers.

But at £15 (about $29) they're not cheap. I imagine they are quite heavy.

Reply to
Alex