Y adaptor for 2 bulbs in celing pendant lampholder?

I have never understood how it is still permitted to have a lampholder like in the OP

way the lampholder is suspended depends on the grip of the actual screw-fittings on the bare wires.

If a moderately heavy lampshade is used then the whole thing seems to be asking for trouble.

Does the US have ceiling pendant lampholders as dodgy as this?

There is so much safety in electrical products these days that I just wonder how this sort of lampholder is not obliged to have a decent flex grip in it.

Reply to
Alex

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:08:47 GMT someone who may be Alex wrote this:-

properly.

And also the strain relief channels fitted to the rose and lamp holder. Older fittings may not have these and they may be worth replacing.

One should assess the maximum mass one may safely handle. There are tables about such things.

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Yeah, but velvet cushions and duvets have a high resistance value. (Unless soaked in urine.)

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , Alex writes

It's not just relying on the wire being clamped. When assembled correctly the wires are looped over strain relief hooks which remove a lot of the pull force.

Some excessive glass lampshades are just asking for trouble in any scenario.

No. ALL their wiring accessories are dodgy. :)

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

It was once possible to buy replacement coiled elements for radiant fires. You simply removed the failed one, used a piece of string to get the length and stretched the new one to suit. My dad told me that in his college days (1930s) they heated a room by suspending such an element from the mantelpiece.

Mind you, his mains electric soil sterilisation kit was a bit of an eye opener - wooden box, metal plate at each end, fill with soil, add water until ammeter reaches desired level, leave to simmer. I can smell it now.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Perfect! With overload illusion thrown in. For safety you cant beat liquids boiling over onto those bare elements. And boiling off before meeting the earthed case, thus making the panful of boiling stuff live at some random proportion of mains voltage. Metal handles anyone? Mind you in fairness I dont think I ever boiled mine over, 500w just isnt enough power. Might work with milk though.

(Or a bowl heater, that adds a bit of mechanical instability into the equation.)

Apparently they still use those bare wire cooking rings in Japan, on

110v.

Seriously, I wonder just how safe a setup like this would be today if it were run off a CU with RCD or RCBO.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , John writes

Look! I just made my own and you can plug kettles and washing machines in too. I didn't know what to do with the green wire so I stuck it up the hole and it went bang so I pulled it out again. I don't think it's needed because everything works OK but the kettle makes me feel all tingly when I pick it up.

Clive Mitchell

Lampholders are the only electrical accessories where access to live terminals without using tools is considered safe. Anybody know why?

Reply to
dcbwhaley

In message , dcbwhaley writes

It's just been Grandfathered through because it would have been too hard to change every single lampholder in the world to comply. The newer GU10 style lampholder is good though. It would be nice if they started phasing the older BC and ES holders out.

Here in the UK we can get safety lamp holders which only connect the power once the lamp is inserted and locked in position.

OK. Put your hand up if you ever stuck your finger in a lamp holder! :)

(Did it on a fairground ride when I was a kid! DC apparently.)

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

EYE OPENER! Not half!!!!!! They only just "rediscovered" not long ago that passing electric current through blood would sterilise it by killing the bacteria and viruses without causing apparent damage to the blood. Subsequent experiments have been carried out involving in situ sterilisation of human blood by passing low DC currents through a human body. If claims are to be believed, it deactivated the AIDs virus giving "low T-cell counts" whatever they are.

I wonder where he discovered the soil sterilisation technique.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Oh yeah. I took one of those and several similar electric fires to the dump when clearing out my fathers loft. Can you still get electric fires with exposed resistance wire wound around a ceramic former? Can't say I seen any recently, they all seem to be "ceramic", fan, convector or oil filled these days.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Nah, you need to poke a key or screwdriver through a plastic grill to get a decent shock these days.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

B22d (bayonet cap) lampholders are grandfathered and exempt from IP2X requirements because there are no recorded deaths from them (at least, not due to touching the live pins).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yeah, been there done that, aged about 7 or 8 I suppose. And it really makes me shudder to recall that after having got a reasonable belt from it, my immediate reaction was to fetch my little sister and get her to stick hers in there too. Ha ha ha. Got another belt - much worse - when my old man found out...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, as kids we all do silly things. Aged 10, with absolutely no sense at all, I puffed the garage's compressed air nozzle in the direction of my sister's ear. Thankfully I missed ;-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

It would be nice if the Continentals and Americans would at least phase their ES holders correctly, with N to ring and L to tip.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

an *earthed* case?

through a lampholder adapter?

I only ever used wooden handled pans and plastic utensils with mine.

Not safe.

But don't let me stop you trying it if you really want to.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I was around 14, I climbed up an AC 20kV square tower, one that has a

3-phase stepdown transformer, just to get hold of a 160W blended light lamp.

I got the lamp, but was later notified that I could have easily been killed being so close to the high voltage transformer, which occasionally closes airgaps using electric sparks, particularly on wet nights.

A really stupid thing to do :-(

Reply to
Ioannis

The message from Lobster contains these words:

I was about five and clearly remember pretending I'd stuck my finger with a drawing pin to explain the loud shout and sudden anguish. I can picture the lamp fitting now, conical spun metal with a gold finish and small star-shaped perforations round the end for ventilation, mounted on a bendy stalk. Very late 50s early 60s.

Reply to
Guy King

So didn't you have a sister, then? ;-)

David