installation of leviton porcelain lampholder

I have a Leviton porcelain lampholder (29816-C) that I'm trying to install in a closet. Currently there is a regular wall outlet above the door frame. This outlet has 2 white, 2 black and a ground wire.

What's the correct way to connect this to the lampholder which has only

2 terminals and nowhere for the ground?
Reply to
chaos

You only need two wires. OTOH, you may be violating the building code. Some do not allow light fixtures in closets due to the potential fire hazard if left on and stuffed with clothing around them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Tie the two black wires together along with another black wire which you'll attach to the copper terminal on the lampholder. Tie the two white wires together along with another white wire which you'll attach to the silver terminal on the lampholder. The ground wire should be able to be removed as long as there is another one that is attached to the outlet box itself.

Reply to
vmravinec

According to :

Uh, no. The ground wires should be connected together and to the box.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

"Nowhere for the ground." This would make a good children's movie, about the ground wire that had no place to go.

mm

Right so it sounds like it's ok to use all 4 wires with this two terminal device (2 white / 2 black).

Yes I just meant by "nowhere for the ground" that this device doesn't have a grounding terminal :-) But it sounds like I can just connect the ground to the metal box (if it's metal) in the wall.

Reply to
chaos