Y adaptor for 2 bulbs in celing pendant lampholder?

Clive Mitchell wrote:

Sounds good to me. I'll add one other thing, any new base should be as material efficient as possible, and theres no base more efficient than no base at all. That means wedge bulbs and bipins, either of which would make safer cheaper successors. Obviously the biguns would need to stay with ES, like the larger hardened PAR lamps.
NT

B22d (bayonet cap) lampholders are grandfathered and exempt from IP2X requirements because there are no recorded deaths from them (at least, not due to touching the live pins).
--
Andrew Gabriel

Lots of burnt fingertips though apparently. :)
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

It doesn't.

It does.
--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

It's been a very long time since that was the case. Mind you, half of them are installed incorrectly and there are still a lot of older crap ones in use, so you're right in a way.
--

Dave

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Yeah, but velvet cushions and duvets have a high resistance value. (Unless soaked in urine.)
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

There are times where a BC light fitting is the only power source - like in a shed, boilerhouse, etc and such an adaptor is useful.
Too much bloody safety wankerism around these days.
--

Dave

Absolutely. Are you guys and galls aware that on construction sites in the UK contractors have effectively been banned from using ladders and steps in case they fall off them? Instead we have to use "one man scaffolds" for even something as trivial as running a cable above a ceiling. As you can guess this is a complete chore and rather bad for ones back due to the lack of ease in height adjustment and trying to get these monstrosities through doors.
It's like the HSE said "Ooh! Lots of people fall at work so lets ban ladders." Well lots of people get knocked down by cars so lets ban them too. It's the same logic.
While I'm ranting..... A quick reminder for self employed UK contractors. Unless you have the CSCS certificate you may not be able to work on construction sites from next year. For electricians this is particularly grim since we have to get ours through the JIB and they aren't exactly well organised.
You can look forward to such questions as....
Your work colleague gets an electric shock and doesn't feel well. Do you:-
A. Get him a nice hot cup of tea. B. Send him home. C. Seek medical assistance immediately. D. Slap him firmly in the face and tell him to pull himself together.
Really. That's the level of questions.
Red tape and unskilled labour is making even the simplest job a chore. It's time to emigrate.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

ROTFL!!
Where to though? This thing is catchy. In a few years nobody will be allowed to do anything without a Ph.D. in their respective field.

--
Ioannis
-------
Ioannis wrote:

But if things keep going the same way, by then most schools leavers will have a PhD :)
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

But still no real technical skills whatsoever.
I just discovered that in Norway they teach electronics at primary school, including soldering!
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Well, I had picked up my father's soldering iron by that age, having got an interest in electronics probably from around age 7 or 8.
When I got to O-level physics, I recall being rather disappointed to find that we missed out on electronics and domestic wiring which I would have sailed through, whilst those in the bottom set who did CSE rather than O-level did have these in their course.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Did you pick it up by the right end? :)

They did?
I had to wait until I reached 16 then went and did it for real. Not domestic wiring though, I ended up serving my apprenticeship with an electrical engineering company doing construction and steelworks. Much better than school!
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

(And you probably thought I was joking.)

Anywhere that's not populated so densely that they have to invent fictitious jobs just to keep wasters busy. A job on a site where the technical labour wasn't matched man for man by an office worker would be a good start.
I'm even thinking of dropping my trade. After 25 years as an electrician in the more industrial side of electrical and electronic engineering I'm just sick of red tape. Maybe I'll get a job as a safety officer. :)
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

No. A PhD in an irrelevant field. Working on electrics? You need a PhD in Media Studies. Working as a journalist? You need a PhD in architecture.
--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

So true. I remember being totally blanked for a maintenance job at a local Alcan plant. They specifically wanted students with an HND (any HND) to work on their machinery. Not a real electrician with tons of electronics, panel building and maintenance experience.
Then they shut down. Maybe they couldn't keep the machines running.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Clive Mitchell wrote:

I can gert em that price online..
BUT its accepatble for now. I am going to leave it. If the new cartridge when this one runs out doesn't fix it, its by by my old and faithful laserjet..and probably hello color one..
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:01:30 GMT someone who may be Clive Mitchell

After they had expanded their empire to include railways the HSE did consider grabbing road safety as well. However, they soon decided not to and later even ran away screaming when asked to look at workplace health and safety when the person concerned happened to be in a motor vehicle.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Clive Mitchell wrote...

I don't believe that it's quite as bad as that - AFAIK the guidelines are that ladders are not suitable for long-term access and are supposed to be for jobs that are not anticipated to take more than about 20minutes.
Only second-hand info though so I may be wrong - however it does make sense, since I do find that I feel safer the longer I spend up a ladder and so would probably become less aware of safety issues after a long period and more likely to take unnecessary risks.
Just been out inspecting 120 bat boxes in a woodland and the idea of having to set up scaffolding around every tree is outrageous!
David
contains these words:

I saw a bloke putting up a Sky dish no higher than the top of the door lintel wearing a bash hat the other day.
--
Skipweasel