Gas Cooker anti tilt chain

Daughter has bought a new dual fuel cooker with electric oven and gas hob (Hotpoint EG74. We have booked a Corgi man for Monday to put a hose on and do all the proper gas things. I will connect the oven electrically to the existing cooker outlet, as Corgi man doesn't do electrics. The one grey area is the anti tilt (or should that be anti- strain) chain. The instructions say "a hole in the gas inlet valve bracket can be used to engage a stability chain". Note "can" not "must". Upon examination, it looks like a pair of 4mm holes in the bracket backplate. Can anyone help with what sort of chain would be the preferred type, what sort of length, and what is the preferred way of attaching to the wall and the backplate. You would have thought that one would have come with the cooker.

The reason I ask is that although it may be part of Corgi man's job, it may not be and I would rather prepare to fit it myself while there is easy access behind the cooker.

Many thanks to the group once again

John

Reply to
JohnW

A "kit" is readily available. Alternatively forget the chain and fit a stability bracket, (also available) although your CORGI man should have both options readily available as installing a cooker includes making provision for the prevention of tipping over of the unit. He is going to have to gain access to the rear of the cooker anyway so you aren't really doing him a favour.

Reply to
cynic

You don't need to install one of these - they serve only one purpose and that is to prevent the 'claim brigade' from 'accidentally' breaking their legs and claiming a million quid off the landlord....it's the reason why MacDonalds have to put, 'warning - contents may be hot' on all their tea and coffee cups.

When was the last time you heard of a cooker falling over? - and more to the point, why don't televisions, furniture, fridge/freezers etc have them on? - the reason is that landlords (council or private) don't supply any of these items and so there is virtually no chance of the 'sue now, think later' culture taking advantage.

Reply to
Phil L

If they were as you say they'd be required on electric cookers too. They're not: they're a gas safety measure.

Reply to
YAPH

The idea is that for slot-in cookers the stability device should prevent the cooker tilting over if the oven door is open and, say, a child climbs on it. For larger heavier range-type cookers where the child would have to be the size of a large american adult it stops some muggins pulling the cooker out too far without disconnecting the gas hose. In either case the intention is to protect the hose, not the cooker or child climbing on it or anything else. Thus you want a chain, screw hook or eye and wall fixing strong enough that it will stop the cooker tipping or being pulled out. It should be readily removable so you can have a dog-clip on the chain or a screw hook on the wall.

Reply to
YAPH

Maybe they should, many cases where TVs have killed kids by toppling onto them, e.g.

?s=9426979

Andy Burns

Correct.

For larger heavier range-type cookers where the child would have to

A range cooker may not be connected with flexible hose. It may only be connected with rigid pipework.

In either case the

If that was the case why is a stability bracket the prefered safety device? You only have to pull the cooker out six inches and there is no protection from tilting or pulling on the hose.

The stability device is just that. To keep it stable, not to stop it being moved (Although the chain correctly fitted would prevent both).

Thus you want a chain, screw hook or eye and wall

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

On a practical level, I think they are worth installing - especially if the cooker has an oven door that is hinged at the bottom.

However its a moot po "Unless otherwise stated in the manufacturer?s instructions, a free-standing cooking appliance using a flexible connector shall be fitted with a stability device secured to the fabric of the building."

Accidents where someone steps or falls onto an open oven door are the ones to watch. Without something to retain the cooker you could end up tipping pans forwards.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its worth noting that the standard's definition of a "range cooker" (i.e. heavy cast iron construction) does not tie up with the ad-men's definition (i.e. any cooker that is wider than normal). Hence plenty of things sold as "range cookers" have flexible hoses.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes. You are right. I have cast my eye over 3.4 (The OP did say 'range- type').

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Does the same apply to tumble driers? If so I ought to fit one to mine. It is sitting on a worktop above the washing machine, and has been corgi inspected at least twice.

Reply to
<me9

I've not seen a cooker fall over, but I've seen a filing cabinet fall over. My boss had several drawers open, and the cabinet tilted forwards slightly. The bottom drawer slid open and pinned his feet to the floor. Then all the other drawers opened. I could hardly stop laughing as I rushed to stop him being squashed completely.

Reply to
Matty F

I purchased a Bosch electric cooker last month and it came supplied with an anti tilt bracket which the installation instructions exhort the installer to fit. Perhaps its a requirement in some other countries and given the multinational market for most appliances it is easier just to package it for all. I didn't as I like to pull things out easily to clean and the oven is a very tight fit into its surroundings ,visitors assume that it is a built in one. In practice it would take a very heavy weight placed on the open door to tip the oven . In a house with toddler age children resident or visiting there is always the rare chance that one will use the open door as a step.ISTR that somebody writing on here had a dishwasher damaged in this way.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

ISTR the free-standing bookshelves I bought from Argos a few years ago included such an item: a small metal angle bracket which the instructions exhorted me to use to attach the shelves to the wall!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Most flatpack comes with either a bracket or a strap these days. Even bedside cabinets 80 cm high.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry, that's what I meant: ad-man-speak "range" cookers, not Agas, Rayburns etc. The last one I installed was quite pull-out-able and I fitted it with a flexible (in accordance with the MIs) and safety chain.

Reply to
YAPH

So do you routinely fit them for customers, or make them sign a waiver if they don't want them? ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

If you install a gas cooker on a boat (on the inland waterways) it must have such a chain.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Please don't ever do any gas work, you are obviously not competent.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Speaking as someone who was savaged by a killer wardrobe just a couple of weks ago, there's a strong case for using these on bookshelves. Cookers though?

Reply to
Andy Dingley