Gas Cooker anti tilt chain

Daughter has bought a new dual fuel cooker with electric oven and gas hob (Hotpoint EG74. We have booked a Corgi man for Monday to put a hose on and do all the proper gas things. I will connect the oven electrically to the existing cooker outlet, as Corgi man doesn't do electrics. The one grey area is the anti tilt (or should that be anti- strain) chain. The instructions say "a hole in the gas inlet valve bracket can be used to engage a stability chain". Note "can" not "must". Upon examination, it looks like a pair of 4mm holes in the bracket backplate. Can anyone help with what sort of chain would be the preferred type, what sort of length, and what is the preferred way of attaching to the wall and the backplate. You would have thought that one would have come with the cooker.
The reason I ask is that although it may be part of Corgi man's job, it may not be and I would rather prepare to fit it myself while there is easy access behind the cooker.
Many thanks to the group once again
John

A "kit" is readily available. Alternatively forget the chain and fit a stability bracket, (also available) although your CORGI man should have both options readily available as installing a cooker includes making provision for the prevention of tipping over of the unit. He is going to have to gain access to the rear of the cooker anyway so you aren't really doing him a favour.
JohnW wrote:

You don't need to install one of these - they serve only one purpose and that is to prevent the 'claim brigade' from 'accidentally' breaking their legs and claiming a million quid off the landlord....it's the reason why MacDonalds have to put, 'warning - contents may be hot' on all their tea and coffee cups.
When was the last time you heard of a cooker falling over? - and more to the point, why don't televisions, furniture, fridge/freezers etc have them on? - the reason is that landlords (council or private) don't supply any of these items and so there is virtually no chance of the 'sue now, think later' culture taking advantage.
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:49:24 +0000, Phil L wrote:

If they were as you say they'd be required on electric cookers too. They're not: they're a gas safety measure.
--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Seagull Management

I purchased a Bosch electric cooker last month and it came supplied with an anti tilt bracket which the installation instructions exhort the installer to fit. Perhaps its a requirement in some other countries and given the multinational market for most appliances it is easier just to package it for all. I didn't as I like to pull things out easily to clean and the oven is a very tight fit into its surroundings ,visitors assume that it is a built in one. In practice it would take a very heavy weight placed on the open door to tip the oven . In a house with toddler age children resident or visiting there is always the rare chance that one will use the open door as a step.ISTR that somebody writing on here had a dishwasher damaged in this way.
G.Harman
YAPH wrote:

ISTR the free-standing bookshelves I bought from Argos a few years ago included such an item: a small metal angle bracket which the instructions exhorted me to use to attach the shelves to the wall!
David
Lobster wrote:

Most flatpack comes with either a bracket or a strap these days. Even bedside cabinets 80 cm high.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

So do you routinely fit them for customers, or make them sign a waiver if they don't want them? ;-)
David
Lobster wrote:

If its a wardrobe I always fix it to the wall with a bracket or 2. Mainly it keeps the robe square so you can get the door alignment right.
Smaller stuff, not often because they usually want to move them to access sockets. I always show them the bracket & ask.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Speaking as someone who was savaged by a killer wardrobe just a couple of weks ago, there's a strong case for using these on bookshelves. Cookers though?
Phil L wrote:

Maybe they should, many cases where TVs have killed kids by toppling onto them, e.g.
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/oct/13/local/chi-toddler-tv-13-oct13 http://www.herald.ie/national-news/courts/dad-tells-of-frantic-effort-to-save-tot-killed-by-falling-tv-1502068.html http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/11942/40 / http://www.ksdk.com/news/world/story.aspx?storyid 0827&catid( http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/nov/19/deputies-investigate-golden-gate-toddlers-death / http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008258984_apwatelevisionfatal.html http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/boy_2_crushed_to_death_by_tele.html http://www.kvbc.com/global/story.asp?s 26979 http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId 22492&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1 http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/12/03/coroner-s-warning-after-toddler-killed-by-falling-tv-91466-22398525 /
Phil L wrote:

On a practical level, I think they are worth installing - especially if the cooker has an oven door that is hinged at the bottom.
However its a moot point since they must be fitted if one is going to claim they are competent to install a cooker.
BS6172 (Installation and maintenance of domestic gas cooking appliances (2nd and 3rd family gases) says :
"Unless otherwise stated in the manufacturers instructions, a free-standing cooking appliance using a flexible connector shall be fitted with a stability device secured to the fabric of the building."

Accidents where someone steps or falls onto an open oven door are the ones to watch. Without something to retain the cooker you could end up tipping pans forwards.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 11 Dec,

[snip]
Does the same apply to tumble driers? If so I ought to fit one to mine. It is sitting on a worktop above the washing machine, and has been corgi inspected at least twice.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

I've not seen a cooker fall over, but I've seen a filing cabinet fall over. My boss had several drawers open, and the cabinet tilted forwards slightly. The bottom drawer slid open and pinned his feet to the floor. Then all the other drawers opened. I could hardly stop laughing as I rushed to stop him being squashed completely.
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:08:37 -0800, Matty F wrote:

Many filing cabinets have an interlock that prevents more than one drawer being slid out at a time. Very amusing all the same.

It was all the more amusing as he had a very high IQ, probably exceeding 150 I'd guess. He always liked to be right, and to win all games. However he sometimes wasn't a very practical person.

Please don't ever do any gas work, you are obviously not competent.
Man at B&Q wrote:

It's funny you should say that....I've just installed a new condensing boiler, but thankfully there were no fiddly chains to mess about with or I would have had to ring someone out of the yellow pages.
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

OK, boilers are different competency to cookers, but anyone with knowledge of the regs would have known what I meant.
MBQ
Man at B&Q wrote:

Now I think I understand - it was an attempt at irony.
you should have included a smiley or similar, nuance doesn't work too well with plain text