cooker allowed with removed safety lid ?

A mate had a gas cooker condemned because when the lid was put down over the burners the safety cutout did not work - a fire risk. No requirement to have a lid at all, so surely its OK to just remove the lid, which he did. A gas bloke said this would be OK but then phoned back and said it would not since the cooker would still fail a safety test as "modified". Anyone know what should be permitted here ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Changed subject - well its not a "safety lid" is it ?

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Interesting

My cooker has a lid which if closed cuts off the gas

However there is no flame failure device so if the lid is up and the gas on close the lid flame goes out open lid gas back on no flame

Or if the flame blows out

So mine has never been safe

I assume that modern gas hobs all have flame failure devices

Regards

Reply to
TMC

there are other ways. In commercial kitchens there is (should be) a gas valve in the supply which won't operate unless the extractor fan is switched on.

Reply to
charles

TMC :

Same here.

Ours is 1997 vintage.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mine doesn't - three years old.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Traditionally, gas burners didn't give off enough gas to reach the explosive level in a house with the expected number of air changes per hour. Cookers with a large wok or fish kettle burner would have a flame failure detector on that large burner.

Nowadays, with new homes being air-tight, this may have changed.

Do they? I haven't looked at a new gas cooker for years, but a change in requirements for air-tight homes could well have caused that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Found this

TMC

Interesting. Our cheap model cooker is safer in that respect. Close the lid and it machanically returns all the gas knobs to the off position.

If the minimum (simmer) setting is set up correctly, it's very hard to accidentally blow out a gas cooker.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Your wrong lol and obviously don't have a clue about what your saying

Reply to
bkhan791

We have no idea what you are talking about.

Reply to
John Rumm

He's arguing with someone from 2012, and dosn't know the difference between you're and your.

Reply to
Graham.