Cooker hood options?

Can't see a good answer to this - maybe someone else can?

Here's a bad ascii diagram of my wall where the cooker is and where the hood (which I haven't bought yet) might go.

Cut-away side view:

\ \ Loft \ < Roof tiles \ =========== \ Ceil || \ || \ || \ Hood || || \ || ||===========\ || || Soffit || || || || || || || || || || || || Cooker || || || || || || || || Outside wall (2 brick leaf cavity, 11" overall)

Because the roof soffit is rather lower (a good 18") than the ceiling, it doesn't look like much of a goer to ventilate the cooker hood through the wall - I haven't seen the insides of any cooker hoods so I'm not sure how high the extract duct is.

The way I solved this with the bathroom fan was rectangular flexi duct over the wall plate down into a soffit vent. But I am wary of flexi duct

  • cooking grease and s**te - seems like a bad idea.

Straight up through a roof terminal might be an option - is this a done thing?

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, that is a *brilliant* crystal-clear piece of ASCII art!

I agree with you over using flexible stuff - you mean the concertina-ish stuff? Although a grease filter should trap most (all) of it they also reduce flow especially over longish, twisty routes like this and I think I'd steer clear.

I have a similar situation in the bathroom, with very much longer sloping roof section, and I fitted a length of rigid plastic rectangular parallel to the rafters down to the soffit vent, and connected this in the roof space to the bathroom ceiling using a short length of concertina stuff and circular-rectangular adapter. Something comparable might work for you, with a rigid circular-section duct going up through the ceiling? At least the short flexi-bit would be readily accessible for maintenance in the event of grease problems.

Certainly readily do-able too; you can buy suitable tile vents - personally I try to avoid stuff poking through the tiles unless it's absolutely unavoidable as IMHO it's inviting the possibility of leaks. Sometimes it's the only option though.

The only other possibility I can think of is would you be able to traverse the ducting horizontally (ie, above kitchen wall units, or above the ceiling) and then connect to a conventional wall vent in a side wall or gable end of the building?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Here's the expensive solution:

andrew

I cant help wondering if an ordinary extractor fan plus metal grille & sponge sheet would work ok as a cooking extractor. In which case you could easily go straight through the wall. I've not tried it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

A cooker hood with 2 carbon filters in it. No need for ducting then. Gets rid of the smell by pumping the sucked air through the filters then recirculating it. Works fine. Change the filters every 3 - 6 months. Clean the outer screens every month or so as required.

alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

True - that is an idea. Thinking about it it might even be possible to form a 315 degree (approx) bend out of flat but cutting through 3 sides, removing triangles and then forming it and taping with duct tape. It would be one up from flexi.

Tile vents? - something different to a pipe with a cap poking straight up?

It's a fully hipped house :-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

900m3/hour(!)
Reply to
Tim Watts

where 'fine' means steam and heat just goes round & round & builds up

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Hi Alan,

Is that a "special upmarket" hood - or just a random one with two filter sheets wedged in?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Most hoods allow it now, the filters are in round canisters:

Work well.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Ah - thanks Alan.

That would be the simplest solution.

Recirculating might have some advantages for me: the room, despite being south facing, does not get overly hot even in summer and in winter, keeping the heat from the cooker is a win.

Also, the room contains a coal stove - despite having 2 wall vents (on the HETAS guy's advice based on the room also containing a gas cooker) too much external extraction runs the risk of over stressing the vents (techncially the stove's manual says do not have extraction in the same room) - no way to know until doing a smoke match test on the fire.

Only the steam from cooking remains - but TBH as the room is large (it's a dining room too) we've not noticed any problems. If that becomes a problem, a small humidistat driven extractor in a more convenient location, subject to checking the coal stove, would deal with that in a controllable way.

Might be the best way - to go with a really excellent grease/smells filter.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think your hood is too high (how high are your ceilings). Usually hoods are somewhere between 65 to 75cm above the hob (depending on the manufacturers instructions and the type of hob).

So if you have a worktop height of about 95cm the bottom of the hood will be at 1.6 to 1.7m.

This means it should be possible have the extracter hole tight up to the soffit (unless you get an extractor with a rear vent which makes it even easier). But there is no reason why the hole through the wall cannot slope downwards from the inside if you need a few extra inches clearance.

Anything venting outside is better than recirculating. Try to drag a manual off the net for an extractor you like the look of and you will see that it will probably be possible to extract it through the wall.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hi Adam,

They are 2.4m high.

That's interesting. Unless I can get a slimline (as in not deep from the wall) I'd need it at 1.85-1.9 - because I was always banging my head on the one at our old house.

Rear extract - hmm. That would make all the difference.

OK. Still have to check out the coal stove venting though.

Anyone have any guidelines on that?

Basically, I will have:

1 gas cooker - technically, the room requires no venting for that, being 20+m2 floor area (by my understanding of the gas regs).

The stove is at the other end of the room and is a 4kW coal/wood burner (virtually the smallest one available).

I have 2 vents of this type:

opposite the fire and one near the cooker at the other end of the room.

The Aga stove says "no extractor fans in the vicinity" or something like that, but with two vents (the HETAS guy said 1 vent was good for the stove but preferred to err on the side of caution with a gas cooker too and recommended 2 which I put in) - I didn't discuss the possibility of an extractor at the time.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

We rely on ours to get rid of steam, for sure, and on that basis I wouldn't touch a recirculating model with a bargepole. However if you don't currently have a problem there maybe you can get away with it. AFAIK most if not all models are dual function in that they can be configured to extract or recirculate, so there's nothing to stop you fitting the vent even if eventually you decide recirculating mode is what floats your boat.

One point definitely to consider is the ongoing cost of the charcoal filters - IIRC an arm and a leg, but whatever, you need to decide whether it's worth it for you.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In fact, have a look at: - there's all sorts of ducting gizmos there now; you might be able to negotiate that bend without bodgery.

Can be that but neater and probably more reliable waterproofing-wise is something like:

David

Reply to
Lobster

Elica Krea from John Lewis and elsewhere.

It is an all-stainless cooker hood with mesh grease filters (not paper), with rear outlet capability, locate 65cm-75cm over the hob (check the hob makers instructions). About =A389 which is dirty cheap, not a huge extraction rate, but WILL handle steam pouring out of pots on #2 out of 3 settings so perfectly adequate.

Reply to
js.b1

That is very cheap - I had started noticing that metal mesh filters seemed to be a feature.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Aren't lots rear extract (the one I fitted in the old house could be top or rear extract, I just went straight through the wall.).

Don't be taken in by the chimneys, on a number I looked at these were fake.

Reply to
chris French

May get rid of smell, does not get rid of steam

Owain

Reply to
Owain