Cooker hood recommendations

I'd like to fit a cooker hood above our gas cooker (and do away with the Expelair that we have fitted in a hole in the window, which never extracts cooking smells satisfactorily).

I'm thinking about:

- make of cooker hood;

- price - can't spend too much, but don't want one so cheap that it's nasty;

- potential wiring problems;

- potential problems in venting through the wall (will I need to drill a

6" wide hole though two bricks?).

What Does The Team Think?

Thanks for any recommendations.

john

Reply to
jal

AFAICS you can spend the absolute earth on these things - ie, many hundreds for a designer model. I've bought several bottom-end-of-the range stainless steel pyramid type models in the past from internet shops (80-90 quid) and never had any problems with any of them them - at the end of the day they are very simple devices and there's not much to go wrong.

There's plenty in the archives of this newsgroup about how to fit them. Is the oven on an outside wall? That's easiest, neatest and most efficient with respect to venting.

Make sure you fit it high enough above the hob (consult the hob instructions).

David

Reply to
Lobster

have a look at this site

is the UK importer for the Italian Elica company who make a large proportion of all cooker hoods sold in Europe, many of which are branded (and marked up) by Bosch etc.

Quality is respectable on most of their products.

Once you fond what you like, there are loads of places to buy and prices very negotiable.

TLC generally has good prices on line and can be persuaded to do better with a bit of a push.

Most worthwhile hoods have 125mm hole or 150mm. Greater shouldn't be needed unless there are very long duct runs or you are trying to move a lot of air. You can either rent a core drill of the appropriate size or drill small holes in a circle and knock out with a chisel, making good afterwards

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nt1.hall.gl:

Andy is right about the Elica models. And if you have a country-style kitchen with a range cooker located in the chimney breast then you will search high and low for something suitable until you find this or a sister model:

which can be mounted on a board across the opening. Makes a neat job.

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Yes, I have this one. I believe that they make various sizes.

The other nice thing is that the mesh filters can be removed and washed easily.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We have a similar, albeit slightly lower performance (500m3/hr freeflow cf. 700m3/hr) version bought from TLC:

at =A389, is surely unbeatable. Works superbly (both extraction and lighting), looks great, not too loud, and as Andy says a doddle to clean the filters - just bung them in the dishwasher.

I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

"Mathew Newton" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Indeed. The (small) point I was making is that while there are many devices sized for the standard 60cm appliance width, there aren't many around sized for the width of range cookers (90cm, 100cm,

110cm).

The Baumatic model you link to is 52cm and designed to fit a 60cm unit size. The Elica model I referenced is 72cm - I can't now remember if I ever did find any other 'wide' products suitable for custom mounting.

As far as price goes, TLC lists the cheapest 52cm Elica product at GBP 40 + VAT. The BI80UHS 72cm model I linked to is listed at GBP 130

  • VAT - which is more than I paid last year from 365electrical, but at whatever price it's certainly not a cheap option!
Reply to
Richard Perkin

I think you misinterpreted my post (probably my fault!). I wasn't disagreeing, nor raising the bar, but merely adding a suggestion as to a(nother) value-for-money type of built-in extractor for the circumstances you described.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Just fitted the remote motor/fan model, chosen because of its low height, and very quiet opeation. Looks very good over a 1000mm range cooker. Robert

Reply to
robert