Gap between Electric Cooker & Kitchen Units

I have an electric Cooker 55cm wide that I installed when I fitted new kitchen units some while ago. I left a gap 60cm wide between the units either side of the cooker to allow air space.

I now find it very difficult to get a 55 cm cooker to her indoors liking. I might be just able to squeeze a 60cm cooker in but it will be touching the cabinets either side. Will that be OK or must there be a gap?

Reply to
Merryterry

Gas every time for me, but no gap. If its designed to fit in a run of kitchen units then I would expect it doesn't require a gap, otherwise the wall cupboards will no longer line up with the floor standing ones. The instructions will give chapter and verse.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

crikey - thats one hell of a gap either side!

Reply to
Vass

You missed the smiley, otherwise "60cm wide between the units either side" is quite normal, it's a standard size for many appliances.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Read it again :-)

Reply to
Stuart B

Customer called me a few days ago about a similar thing. She bought a new cooker and the (apparent) CORGI installer wouldn't install it because he said there should be a 3cm gap either side and it was only 2cm? Seems like cobblers to me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry. I meant a total gap of 60 cm i.e 2.5 cm either side of the 55 cm cooker. Bit of a PIA this one.

Reply to
Merryterry

The manufacturer's instructions I followed when fitting my electric double-oven assumed that it was being fitted flush into a 600mm wide gap. There's a ~1cm gap either side of the side walls. The oven front overlaps the walls of the unit.

Reply to
Si

IME, there is a difference between a free standing cooker, and a "slot tin" one. The latter is still free standing, but designed to look like a built in one. These can often be installed with no gap. The true free standing (i.e. more traditional cooker) ones have varying requirements for clearance.

Reply to
John Rumm

In the absence of instructions otherwise the gap specified in in BS 6172 is 28mm. Cookers intended to be used as 'slot in' models will almost certainly have lesser or no clearance requirements.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

How does one tell which is which though? When does a slot become a free standing - and vicky verky?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The slot in ones are more fashionable, and command a higher price.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Also they are 600mm wide and designed to match the depth and height of standard kitchen units closely. A free standing is often 500mm wide etc. The description they give it in the shop is also a clue!

Reply to
John Rumm