Recommended gap between wood worktop and cooker

Trying to decide how much gap to leave between the worktop ends and the cooker. The manual for the cooker doesn't care about a gap - it simply suggests about 5mm if using granite to allow the cooker to be slid in and out without banging the worktop.

Googling suggests everything from 10mm to 30mm (with endcaps on the wood!). I've had some B&Q walnut worktop, badly looked after, without endcaps, just resting on the cabinets for the past 6 years, with a minimal gap, and no signs of any problems. I'm inclined to therefore do the same again, but am wondering if I've just been lucky. What have other people's experiences been?

I'm planning on fitting American black walnut from Worktop Express if that makes any difference to what people recommend. It hasn't been ordered yet, so you can also say "Don't buy that, get oak....".

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Our cheap "temporary" rubberwood worktop has been right up (*) to the cooker for the last five years without any problems. The top of the worktop is level with the top of the cooker sides. (The cooker surface then drops down from the sides, and the rings stand proud of the sides.)

*: "right up" - probably a couple of mm gap so I can slide cooker in and out.
Reply to
Martin Bonner

+1
Reply to