Stinking washing machine

A 5 year old Samsung washing machine - one of those: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/WF0804W8E1/XEU/ It has been used every day or every other day since it was purchased.
All was fine until a few weeks ago when we noticed a bad smell coming from what seemed to be the main compartment (drum). The machine still works fine as far as I can tell.
The door is always kept slightly ajar between washes, and the drain is connected to the waste of the sink in the utility room that is only used a few times per year. I took apart the connection between the drain and the sink waste, and it is clear (and clean).
What I have tried so far:
- Run on empty at max temp for a cycle. - Cleaned the dispenser drawer and took it out and cleaned the recess behind it. - Cleaned the debris filter. - checked the feed and drain pipes at the back, and they have not moved and are still clipped in place.
Upon cleaning the filter above, I noticed that there was what I thought was quite a lot of water still left in the machine (I would estimate 200-300ml), and the water that came out stank! Exactly the smell that we had noticed.
I also checked to see that the machine was level, and it was.
Another thing that I noticed was that the machine seems to shake quite a lot when spinning at a high speed - I cannot be sure, but I am pretty certain that it is much more than it used to be. Not sure if this is related?
I assume the machine does not drain fully? Any idea what to try next please?
On 18:39 17 Jul 2018, JoeJoe wrote:

Sounds like water is running back. Perhaps the drain hose is gummed up with sludge somewhere althouigh maybe not at the connection you checked.
Some liquid detergents will build up a residue and also powers used at low temperatures. Perhaps try a washer cleaner or alternatively an empty wash using powder at max temperature.

pamela explained on 17/07/2018 :

I agree with all that, plus I would check the pump is working as it should - running properly/ not choked up with material.
On 17/07/2018 20:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The 'gunge' is a mix of old detergent, body oil, and calcium carbonate. It can be quite 'extensive', all but totally blocking pipes etc. Sometimes the only way to remove it is disassembly and poke and flush.
As for the smell, check the rubber seal around the door, there is usually a grease which can attract gunge and mold.
Ditto the detergent / powder dispenser- it can get gummed up.
On 17/07/2018 20:18, Brian Reay wrote:

I'll be happy to remove the pipe and clean it, but couldn't find how to detach it from the washing machine... Access is very limited as well. Am I missing a trick?

Gave that a good clean, but smell still there.
On 17/07/2018 20:33, JoeJoe wrote:

Machines vary. Sometimes you need to get at the underneath- even lay them on their side (carefully!).
There is usually a large rubber 'boot' / hose which acts like a 'sump'. That can get gummed up. You can generally clean it by removing one of the larger pipes and gaining access that way.
We had an old machine which got a lot of use when the children were young, plus my wife tended to use liquid (bad for gunge), too much of it, and we live in a hard water area. I must admit, later machines have 'died' of sometime before getting totally gummed up but I do give the drain hose a flush now and then. Plus, machine gets less use, wife uses powder (not too much) etc.

On 17/07/2018 22:44, Brian Reay wrote:

Thanks a lot for that - very interesting...
A couple of months ago we started to use liquid instead of powder for the first time ever - I think the supermarket had a deal or something so we decided to give it a try.
May well be the culprit...
We are in a very very soft water area btw.
On 17/07/2018 23:15, JoeJoe wrote:

You may have to use around a third of the amount of liquid detergent they suggest on the side of the bottle.
The machines in this house have used only liquid detergent for the past few decades and usually on cold wash. Four cycles a year with washing soda crystals and maximum temperature keeps the machine smell free.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/07/2018 23:25, alan_m wrote:

I wonder whether periodic "maintenance washes" nullify the savings of low temperature washing. I haven't had to do one since I started using 60° for towels and handkerchiefs.
--
Max Demian

I never use anything but cold wash and both the recent machines never stink.
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 20:33:00 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

I've just recently had success in eliminating the mystery odour of "Sweaty, cheesy socks" that our 'under the counter' "Whirlpool" larder fridge had suddenly taken to producing about a week or so back[1] so I can sympathise with your situation.
The mystery of our unwanted odour problem was that it didn't seem to originate from within the chiller cabinet. Nevertheless, it was given a very thorough clean out a few days ago, along with a cleaning of the rear panel heat exchanger, which normally never sees daylight from one decade to the next. We'd actually gone that extra mile to drag it out from its under the worktop home just to track down the source of this now annoying odour (sweaty socks/damp dishcloth smell).
There didn't seem to be a definitive source although I had a suspicion that it may have been the compartmented polyethylene tun dish clipped in place over the compressor can. Since I couldn't figure out how to unclip it (or even if it *could* be unclipped - no owner's manual to hand), we shoved it back under the worktop in the hope that we'd done enough to sort it out.
After another day or two, it became obvious we'd missed something so, the day before yesterday, we (the missus and I), dragged the damn thing out yet again and I took another look at that tun dish. Closer inspection revealed that the two deepest of the interlinked 'ponds' were full of dirty and even dirtier water which I'd rather not have splashed into my face as a result of the dish's sudden release from captivity.
Having eliminated the risk of getting a face full of scummy, bacterially infested water by picking out the tangible bits with long nose pliers and mopping up with a bunch of kitchen paper towelling, I had another go at releasing the dish for a proper cleaning and disinfecting. Out of instinct, I pressed what did prove to be the release catch and it slid out quite easily.
This is rather curiously split into several 'ponds', all interlinked to each other. A little thought as to why it was designed like this suggests that it's simply a clever way to keep the exposed surface area minimised against a varying level of condensate that collects on the cold plate at the rear of the chiller cabinet in order to keep bacterial activity in the tun dish to an absolute minimum.
The condensate itself is distilled water so doesn't directly contribute a risk of bacterial colonisation (unlike the case with a washing machine's drainage setup). However, this nutrient poor water inevitably becomes ever so slightly contaminated en route to the tun dish where it experiences further, if again very low, rates of contamination from atmospheric fall out.
It's obviously an effective way to keep the fridge automatically free of frost build up with a minimum risk of smelly bacterial activity since I can't recall any previous 'Hunting Expeditions' round the back of the fridge for the 'Source of The Stink'. :-)
Having given the dish the thorough cleaning it had so richly deserved (a good scrub with neat bleach then dishwasher liquid followed by a final rinse off and a dose of spray on bleach cleaner), I refitted it and shoved the fridge back under the worktop to await developments.
That was a day and a half ago and I'm happy to report that the horrible odour has now finally disappeared without trace. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you too can enjoy the same sense of satisfaction.
[1] I suspect the lodging of a slice of clingfilm wrapped watermelon against the cold plate may have dosed the condensate with fructose solution leaking past its clingfilm wrapping to supercharge the bacteria in the tun dish to new and unwanted heights of malodorous activity. :-(
That retrieved slice of watermelon was delicious all the same, regardless of whether or not it had had any part in these events. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On 17/07/2018 20:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How can I check that? I was standing next to it today when it started (something that I have never done before...) and thought that the pump sounded very loud.
On 17/07/2018 19:06, pamela wrote:

Thanks for that.
I've tried it already though without success.
On 17/07/2018 20:24, JoeJoe wrote:

Oops! Didn't realise that washer cleaner is actually a product. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Non-bio are particularly prone to that.
--
bert

Interesting. I'm allergic to bio, and get a rash if it's used on anything that touches the skin. So use non bio. And my machine does rather stink - despite using proprietary cleaners the supermarkets sell. Which were a total waste of money.
--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

On 18:33 18 Jul 2018, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I think it's probably not the lack of bio enzymes but the lack of decent bleaching agents in liquid detergents which causes gumminess and smells.
This site is run by white goods repairmen and says:
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fix-it-yourself/cleaning- maintenance/2657-smelly-washing-machines/
writes

I use liquid detergent exclusively now and get no gumminess or smells.

On 18/07/2018 18:48, pamela wrote:

If you block all of the advertisements on that site it doesn't grant access!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/07/2018 18:39, JoeJoe wrote:

A whole 1Kg bag of washing soda on a full maximum temperature wash
Washing soda available from most(all) major supermarkets, many pound shops etc at around £1 for a 1Kg bag.
Example https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285047163
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-original-soda-crystals-15kg/p/0437761
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Laundry/Dri_Pak_Soda_Crystals_1Kg.html
Put most of it in the drum and a small amount in the soap dispensers.
This will get rid of the congealed detergent and body fat deposits mix which is the root cause of the bacteria and smell.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk