Washing machine lint filters

I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at least ten years. I am concerned because I have cats and the lint trap on my old machine used to collect lots of cat hair. Where will all this hair go now?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire (44=EF=BF=BD 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Reply to
---MIKE---

Well, not entirely true. I have a new front loader that traps lint/hair in the door gasket area. It's actually made to do that. But, I congratulate you on buying a washer that actually puts the cloths in water and gets them clean. If I didn't have other wants, needs, etc. I'd dump this thing in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Hi, RTFM. The info. is in thee. Ever heard of self cleaning trap?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There are lots of obviously dopey engineers designing appliances these days...my last two washers are good examples. When I first bought a washer without the cleanable lint trap, I called the dealer to ask if there was one that was "hidden". He said the machine "automatically" traps the lint, and then....drum roll....flushes the lint into the sewer line.

The most recent idiocy is the temp setting on a Kenmore washer...the usual cold, warm, hot...We kept the water heater set pretty low, so "hot" wasn't really that HOT! Now said engineers, always trying to save me from myself (they really should have gone to seminary) have an automatic gizmo that, when the machine is set to "HOT", it mixes some cold to keep that warmish hot water from damaging the machine. So the mix thingy is constantly going off and on during fill, causing the hoses to shake and a really irritating sound.

I'm old enough to get irritated with just about anything, like coffee makers that beep when they brew, beep when they shut off the heat, dryer that honks every five minutes to remind me to fold the clothes I don't want to fold NOW. Fer Pete's sake, get rid of all the noise and lights and just ... I suppose the next thing will be a mixer that shuts off when the egg whites are sufficiently whipped...spare me!

Reply to
Norminn

All the new appliances are to smart for their own good.

My fridge, constantly ices up in the ice-in-door path. Then, while you are trying to get it cleaned out, it starts beeping that the door is open too long. I've had Whirlpool out; obviously they can't fix this. They even replaced the entire freezer door and it still ices up, even in the winter when humidity is low. You have to start by putting down a tarp because there will be ice and water all over the place. Then, you have to beat on the ice bucket to break the ice holding in place. When it finally breaks away, ice goes everywhere. Then you start chiseling. DON'T BUY WHIRLPOOL.

Like my oven. You must broil with the door closed, so they say. Most electric ovens say to broil with the door open. Well, if you do, when the temp gets to 500, the upper broil element shuts down. Now, how are you supposed to broil without the upper element cherry red? I have a magnet which I put in the door latch gizmo to keep it on with the door open ... and then, the temp never gets that high. ALSO, WHIRLPOOL.

And there are many more.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Mine never had lint traps and we had cats and never had a drainage problem.

Reply to
Frank

In the lint screen in the dryer, in the dryer body, and all throughout the dryer ducting.

The "problem" with washing machine lint traps is that the consumers didn't clean them out regularly, and they were a source of mold. My machine has one, and I couldn't imagine purchasing a machine without one (I do keep it cleaned regularly, of course).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken