Built in gas ovens

I am replacing a built in gas oven with oven and grill. I see that the majority of oven/grills are gas oven and electric grill. The only all gas oven/grills I have found are New World and I swore that I would never have another New World appliance again. I can't see a full spec for a gas/electric oven grill. All I have seen is that the grill must be on its own supply, it doesn't say whether it is 15A or 30A. The trouble is the existing oven has a connection to the ring main so I assume I can't use this for an electric grill?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I wouldn't assume anything before you've found out the wattage of the grill. My bet is that it's equal to or less than 3KW.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Many plug-in ovens have an integral grill too, so some certainly can run from a 13A socket. Mine has a 2kW element. You may get better ones where a dedicated supply is required.

Gas grills are much more powerful (my Canon fold-away eye-level one is

7kW), but they are a lot rarer than they used to be, for some reason.

My sister-in-law moved from a house with an electric grill to a house with a gas eye-level grill, just over a year ago. She wasn't too happy with the thought of a gas grill when she first saw it, but was totally converted by the second time she used it. I don't think there's any way she could be switched back to an electric grill now, which is going to be an interesting challenge, as the old cooker it's part of will need replacing when they do up their kitchen.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

[...]

3 kw will be 12.5 amps so on the same circuit as the tumble dryer, washing m/c, kettle, fryer, microwave is going to be pushing it.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Some Smeg ones have to be operated with the door closed (or you melt the timer controls for the oven).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know where you get that idea from. All of the items I see for sale are electric oven/grill with gas hob.

Reply to
Steve Firth