Special O-ring for gas grill regulator?

I have a gas grill that goes through an O-ring about once a year.

If you look closely at this picture you can see an O-ring where the connector screws into the regulator.

About once a year this O-ring get chewed up and begins to leak. I've bought the O-ring at a hardware store but I'm wondering if there is someplace else I should be getting them from.

Is there a special material for gas grill O-rings?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry to hear. I'm wondering if the mating surface is rough, or maybe it needs a blast of plumbers silicone grease?

.

If you look closely at this picture you can see an O-ring where the connector screws into the regulator.

About once a year this O-ring get chewed up and begins to leak. I've bought the O-ring at a hardware store but I'm wondering if there is someplace else I should be getting them from.

Is there a special material for gas grill O-rings?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My guess is you are making it up too tight and squeezing the hell out of the O ring.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nothing special that I'm aware of, but why are they going bad? I've been using propane appliances for decades and have never had to replace one.

Check the mating surface on the tank. Could be a burr or grit or something causing the ring to get eaten up. They should last years under normal use.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is the first grill I've ever had a problem with.

It's a BBQ Grillware from Lowes. The first one started leaking after about three years. I replaced and it started leaking a year later, now it's a year later and it's leaking again.

I replaced it last night but I may have bought the wrong size because it won't seal. I only brought the connector in with me, now I've taken the regulator off and I'm going to take them both to the store.

One more try at a 40 cent O-ring. Next will be a $36 replacement regulator/connector combination.

Reply to
DerbyDad03