gas line inside soffit

I have removed a drop ceiling in basement as part of a renovation. The drop ceiling will be replaced with drywall connected directly to floor joists. To hide water piping, I ran it along the outside of an insulated HVAC trunk line and then between joists. The trunk line will be enclosed inside of a drywall soffit when the renovation gets further along.

I want to relocate the natural gas pipe to run along the outside of the HVAC duct before enclosing the duct, water pipes, and gas pipe in the soffit. As long as I use black iron pipe, this appears OK with the National Fuel Gas code that applies to the town. Am I interpreting the code correctly? I would like to have as many ducks in a row as possible before approaching the local inspector. Thanks for any advice.

Sincerely,

rald

Reply to
Rald

There are other requirements, such as no unions, not using gas piping as ground, leak testing, compound only on male threads, but I was wondering about whether a special type of chase or casing would be required for the enclosed gas piping. I want to have everything straight before drawing out my plans for the inspector and extra opinions may help with a detail an inspector missed between the time the sketch is reviewed and the inspector visits the site. Thanks for and feedback.

Reply to
Rald

Look up CSST. It is a corrugated stainless steel flexible line. Double check that there are no restrictions in your jurisdiction, but the stuff has met National code since 1988. Much easier with which to work.

DanG