Gas line size for new high BTU BBQ???

I just bought a Vermont Castings VCS5007

that uses 62,500 BTUs with all 5 burners running. Another 15,000 when the side burner is on. I used it tonight for the 1st time and found that there was not much difference between the flame when the valves are on high or on low. I was wondering if this could be due to the gas pipe size. From the meter it is 1/2" and the run is about 30'. Do I need to go to 3/4" pipe? Thx Gary

Reply to
Gary

ers running. =A0Another 15,000 when the side burner is on. =A0I used it ton= ight for the 1st time and found that there was not much difference between = the flame when the valves are on high or on low. =A0I was wondering if this= could be due to the gas pipe size. =A0From the meter it is 1/2" and the ru= n is about 30'. =A0Do I need to go to 3/4" pipe? =A0Thx Gary

Gary-

There was recent thread on this issue.,,,but I had a hard time finding it

subject was

gas pipe size

Ed Pawlowski posted a link to very useful document

Not knowing the exact layout of your gas lines & appliances...I would say that a 1/2" in your situation is probably ok but close. depends on what else is on that gas line & whether is was running at the time of your "test". Water heater? Furnace?

But in any case you should follow the example in the document & determine whether your gas distribution system is up to its task.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

You need about 59 cfh of gas. At 30', you should be able to get 90 cfh.

Was the grill properly set up for natural gas? Proper regulator and orifices?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yup, I bought it with the natural gas conversion kit.

Reply to
Gary