moisture barrier for laminate floor

I am in the process of planning to lay my first laminate floor. I would like advice on lating a moisture barrier on top of my wood sub floor prior to installing the laminate floor. I will be laying a Pergo product with pad attached. I have read that you can lay plastic sheeting down on the sub floor prior to installation. I would be interested in your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom

Buy the poly stuff on a roll designed for flooring. You don't need it as a moisture barrier over wood, but it will act as a buffer to avoid squeaks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Tom wrote in news:5cd9a0c4-2ec8-42b2-a644- snipped-for-privacy@d36g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Laminate floor is one of those things where you should follow the mfgrs instructions for the individual product IMO. If the answer to your question is not in the documentation, call them. Sort of a whimpy reply but, oh well.

Reply to
Red Green

read this

Sac Dave

It may not be necessary, but it can't hurt. I'd do it.

As an aside, make sure you have one of these laminate flooring clamps

No matter how much you cuss and beat on the planks with a rubber hammer, there will be those that simply refuse to snap together. This device will solve that problem.

Reply to
HeyBub

The instructions always come with the flooring. Visit your local supply shop and look at the instructions. Not hard to understand and will be more reliable than a bunch of opinions from here. The only real hard & fast rule is not to have multiple moisture barriers as they'll trap moisture between then and it needs to go somehwere (down).

Reply to
Twayne