Ceramic Tile vs Laminate on concrete floor?

Until tonight, we've been semi-assuming that laminate would be best. But I don't like that the color is on the surface, and therefore can't be repaired well(?)

Some spare laminate pieces could be kept in reserve when areas were scuffed-through, but I'm not sure how any repair pieces could be satisfactorily inserted, because initial installation of the pieces seems to rely on their interlock.

So why not use untrendy Ceramic tile instead? It seems that stiff support for tile is expensive on wood floors, and most comparisons of wood or laminate flooring to tile flooring assume wood floors.

Moisture conditions: an entry some distance from true outdoors, and a kitchen, but no bath.

Cost Laminate (just the laminate material) seems to cost $1.00/sf to $4.+/sf I need to check Tile cost (grout and whatever adhesive/set will add a little to material cost)

Choosing quality in both materials? Tile should be nonslip through upper layer and completely fired. Determining durability of Laminate seems more critical. Pieces of rug on either flooring will tend to slip unless backing or other method is anti-slip.

Brandnames? It seems that laminate floor has many brands but tile does too. Tile seems generic. Laminate may be becoming generic? I saw 3 "colors" of fakeplank laminate at Home Depot's "Fine (Something Or Other inhouse brandname)", "Slovakia" on underside batch labeling of one color and "Germany" on underside of another color.

Prep: the parts of this concrete floor that I've seen are already smooth and flat. Where carpeted, the strips will leave holes in concrete that I'll need to fill. Where sheet vinyl, I'll have to remove (?) adhesive.

Any other thoughts regarding comparison?

Reply to
Choise76Smu

don't like that

I installed a "Pergo" wood floor in my home 3 years ago. I love it. It's Pergo's top product and it virtually maintenance free. Just two adults, so we don't have kids roller skating through the house and such. Bought at Home Depot, it's easy to install. I've had homes that I had the floors tiled, which were beautiful, but, showed the slightest bit of sand, etc. Had to be vac'ed every day.

Reply to
Don

don't like that

because initial

comparisons of

material cost)

method is anti-slip.

Other inhouse

flat. Where

sheet vinyl, I'll

My floors are brick pavers on sand.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Why would you use "untrendy Ceramic tile"? Wouldn't that be some old 8x8's from the early

80's? Is tile "untrendy"? When did that happen? Oh-no I'm just an Un-Trendy tileman!

Seriously, some 18x18 or 20x20 porcelain would be very trendy......

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

"thetiler" in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

about 2000? damn yuppies! yeah, "everyone wants" granite or maybe marble (or maybe marble has gone by the wayside already)

dont' worry. mullets (with tile dust) have been "out" for so long, they will be in style again soon!

yes. seriously. a lot of tile is kept in stock by stores, so i assume it sells well. :-)

the place is small ( thetiler

Reply to
Choise76Smu