sliding closet door over laminate - help!

I am installing laminate flooring in our kitchen, main hallway and front entrance (where the closet is)... The closet has mirror sliding doors, with the track on both the top and bottom... my questions:

Can I drill holes in the laminate for the bottom sliding track? I plan on making the holes 1/2" in diameter so the flooring can still move (float) underneath. The bottom sliding track would cover these larger holes.

Am I thinking the right way? What kind of screw/hardware would I use for the bottom sliding track into the sub floor?

Any suggestions / tips / comments / advice?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

I don't think you have to go through the trouble of drilling 1/2" holes to make the floor float. It's just closet doors. If you ever want to change something in the future you'll have those holes exposed and have to fill them in. I would drill a pilot hole and then use regular #6 or #8 wood screws.You should be fine. Just take into account the height difference you'll have now with the mirror doors now that you put laminate flooring down. It should not make a difference anyway if you can adjust the rollers on the doors.

Reply to
Mikepier

doors, with

Should be fine. Good that you are thinking about allowing the required 'float'. It may not be needed if the closet faces a narrow strip of flooring such as a hallway as there should be enought room on the other side to allow for expansion. As for screws, the same type you pulled only a bit longer will be fine.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

holes.

required

The front entrance directly in front of the closet is only 4 feet in length... so i might not have to worry about expansion/contraction in the closet/front entrance along that short distance?

Howie

Reply to
clechner

I'm not sure. If it were me, I would allow for the expansion by oversizing the holes and then reapplying the track by running the screws down 'snug' but not 'tight'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

how would I prevent dirt from getting under the track?

Reply to
Howie