closet sliding doors?

Hi All,
I maintain a small apartment complex. One of the most consistent problems we have is with closet sliding doors. They simply don't hold up to the caliber of the tenants. We get holes in the doors and the track mechanisms appear to fall apart from rough handling.
Is there a cost effective, battle-grade alternative to hollow core doors and ultra-cheap track and slider hardware?
Thanks!
On Wed, 2 May 2018 13:18:29 +0000 (UTC), DavidG

Barn door tracks and 2 layers of 3/4" baltic birch glued together? Or 3/8" plate steel? Might be cost effective compared to replacing the standard stuff on a regular basis???
On Wed, 02 May 2018 09:42:22 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

The barn door tracks sure look like a winner. Some experiments are in order.
Thanks!
On 5/2/2018 9:18 AM, DavidG wrote:

You can buy solid doors but they cost a bit more. Not sure about hardware available for them though.
Depending on the tenant, hand a blanket and tell them it is the new style trend.
On Wed, 02 May 2018 09:57:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Lol. Been there, done that. :-)
On Wed, 2 May 2018 13:18:29 +0000 (UTC), DavidG

Get Johnson #100 or even #200 track hardware and use solid core doors. http://www.johnsonhardware.com/100pd-pocket-door-hardware http://www.johnsonhardware.com/200pd-pocket-door-hardware
It is far better than that stamped metal junk they sell at Home Depot.

Wow, they are heavy duty. Add an extra $200 on the damage deposit.
I agree the big box stuff is crap.
--
Tekkie

On Wed, 02 May 2018 11:17:21 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

Looks like the best idea yet.
Thanks!
On 5/2/2018 6:18 AM, DavidG wrote:

Apartment life is for losers.