Sliding shower doors - aargh! Too much choice

As previously posted I'm doing up a shower, to be a 1400mm width enclosure.
We need to put in some sliding doors. Now, at the end of the day I view these things functionally - I don't particularly care what they look like, as I've never seen a set of sliding doors that I would describe as "ugly". I do know that not all "chrome" finishes are created equally, and that sliding mechanisms need to be reliable and easy to clean. But how do I get past the showroom salesman's temptation to push me up the price bracket a little without some empirical or experience based evidence that brand A is good but brand B is to be avoided.
For example, one website I'm currently viewing has suitable products from 180 up to 800. Some of the pricier ones I can discount as style over substance, but there's a vast range in the middle that I can't distinguish between. But I don't want to buy a dud!!
Are there any brands which either experienced fitters or DIYers here can give some feedback (positive or negative) about?
e.g. Manhattan, Twyford, Aqualux, Aquasata etc etc
Any help gratefully received!
Matt
On Mon, 28 May 2012 02:40:28 -0700 (PDT), larkim

things functionally - I don't particularly care what they look like, as I've never seen a set of sliding doors that I would describe as "ugly". I do know that not all "chrome" finishes are created equally, and that sliding mechanisms need to be reliable and easy to clean. But how do I get past the showroom salesman's temptation to push me up the price bracket a little without some empirical or experience based evidence that brand A is good but brand B is to be avoided.

up to 800. Some of the pricier ones I can discount as style over substance, but there's a vast range in the middle that I can't distinguish between. But I don't want to buy a dud!!

Avoid the ones that slide on little plastic wheels.
--

Martin

On Monday, May 28, 2012 10:40:28 AM UTC+1, larkim wrote:

The ones that are basically a big piece of glass suspended on big silver wheels glide much better than the little plastic wheels in a track top and bottom. This kind of thing: http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/26392.htm These also tend to have less of a step over. There will be variation in the amount the door opens - some brands use the same door for 1000mm and 1400mm sliders, and just change the size of the fixed panel. Others use bigger doors for bigger enclosures. The overall width adjustment range also varies, so check that what you get works with the tiles you choose. A
On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 09:30:33 UTC+1, andrew wrote:

Thanks.
My only experience of this is the one that we already have, but it is unbranded and I lost the receipt for it so I don't know what it is. That is a plastic wheeled slider which I have no problems with (it works fine, now 5 years old, though admittedly not used that much).
Good advice about the door size, and the adjustment range.
Thanks
Matt