Sliding cupboard doors/kitchen door ideas

1) The new house we have has a cupboard/wardrobe, about 3m long which has used ply or similar on plastic runners for sliding doors. Needless to say "sliding" is a bit of a euphanism.
I could of course take the whole lot out and put (expensive) hanging/sliding doors like the new wardrobe we've just ordered. But as funds are tight I'd like ideas and recommendations for dealing with the 6 sliding doors we've got, for instance, is it practical to put any rollers on? Merely clean the guides and sand the bottom of the doors smooth? Add PTFE?
2) We have no kitchen door. It's a bit tight to have a door swinging inwards (which is how it probably was) and not practical to have it swing outwards into the adjoining dining area.
A sliding door seems to be an option, though others may have different ideas. I would however like to have a fit that prevents kitchen smells and noises from drifting into the dining/lounge area.
Thanks
--
AnthonyL

On 09/12/2015 19:55, AnthonyL wrote:

To make the doors slide more easily, you could try sanding the edges and then rubbing them with candle wax. That's the standard treatment for freeing up drawer runners, and might work with sliding doors. Also round off the lower leading corners of the doors slightly, so that they can't dig in and cause the door to tip up rather than slide.
If that doesn't work, have you considered converting them to folding doors. You can buy folding door gear for not all that much. They would also have the advantage of making more of the cupboard accessible at a time.
A folding door might solve your second problem, too. You can buy pairs of half width internal doors for the purpose. They would not protrude into the room anything like as much as a single full width door. Only problem is that they do need a bit a clearance, so might not prevent smells and noises from reaching the other side. But it sounds as if there's no barrier at all at the moment, so they would be an improvement on that!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Folding is a useful thought though I'd like to retain the existing doors if candle wax etc doesn't do the job. I have wondered if there is some sort of runner - similar to like old sledges had - that can be fixed to the bottom of the door.

Certainly worth a look - I'd got a bit fixated on sliding so hadn't given that option much thought before.
Thanks for the input.
--
AnthonyL

You can get PTFE sheet.
Random ebay link, but I'm sure searching would find you some suitable strips.
<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231388603870
--
Chris French

As a test of viability you could spray the runners with her silicone furniture polish. If that works, the PTFE job should go well.
--
Tim Lamb

On 10/12/15 09:12, Tim Lamb wrote:

You can now get PTFE powder, which has worked well for SWMBO's car's sunroof without being horrid and messy.
On Wednesday, 9 December 2015 20:40:30 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:

They do however take up double the door thickness in the available door ope ning, which can sometimes be critical for getting furniture and appliances through. Most are usually fairly straightforward to unhook from the track t hough if a completely open opening is required.
Owain
On Wednesday, 9 December 2015 19:55:47 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:

This is the reason why people have cooker hoods/extractors. Also preserves decorations in kitchen.
Even a simple extract fan would help.
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 23:06:28 -0800 (PST), harry

The extractor fan noise is one of the things I'm hoping to block out.
My wife cooks hot spicy food that even the extensive extractor hood fails to draw in, even when on maximum. And my fried bacon pervades the whole house - even with the extractor on.
--
AnthonyL

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 7:55:47 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:

Spray the runners with furniture polish containing silicones