Stanley Sliding Wardrobe Doors install

I am going to attempt to install some sliding doors from B&Q (i am a novice at DIY) and was wondering if anyone has done this and got any tips. One of my concerns is the fact the doors are not as tall as the ceiling and I believe that you can buy some spacers but cant find too much information on how they work. Also where we plan to put the doors it is currently carpeted - do you need to take the carpet up to install the tracks? And lastly both walls have skirting - do you have to cut the skirting to install the tracks? If anyone has any good links with detailed instructions I would be most grateful.

Thanks

ICTUser

Reply to
ICT User

On 24 May 2007 01:47:18 -0700, ICT User mused:

I generally frame the opening out with 4x1 so you've got something sturdy\square etc... to fix to all the way around. I'd cut the skirting and carpet out.

Reply to
Lurch

It's a while since I fitted any of these, but as I remember it they come with ceiling fittings consisting of two plastic brackets (one for the ceiling and one for the upper track) and an aluminium tube about two feet long that goes between them. You cut the aluminium tube to the correct length to suit your ceiling height. Full measurement instructions are in the pack. You can then screw a piece of melamine onto the brackets to cover the gap. There is a couple of inches adjustment in the door fittings to take up any minor errors or level problems.

Providing the carpet is not too luxurious, you should have no problem screwing the lower track to the floor through the carpet. You can butt the track right up to the skirting, but the door will also only butt up to the skirting - not right the way to the wall. You can use a strip of wood or melamine screwed to the wall to fill the gap.

I found that the instructions in the packs were very clear and easy to follow. The only drawback I found was that the systems are not very rugged and will only stand up to children and teenagers for a couple of years!

HTH,

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

I'm installing some right now as it happens, and I do exactly the above too. ISTR for some reason the instructions specify you mustn't sit the bottom runner on a wooden rail, but just screw it through the carpet. I always screw a 4"x1" to the floorboards and fit the runner to that - works well for me and looks neat - you carpet up to the 4x1.

The kit as provided comprises doors, then a separate upper/lower rail; everything else is 'optional'. You can buy various expensive packing and space filling gizmos, but scrap timber is pretty well as easy and a lot cheaper. I usually screw a 3"x2" timber firmly to the ceiling (into the joists), the length of the wardrobe, above the doors. Next, lay a

4x1 on the floor, temporarily stand up two more 4x1s (exactly 89" long!) on the flat one, against the end walls, then balance the final 4x1 on the top, thereby creating the frame at just the riht height. Now you just need to secure the top rail to the 3x2 using scrap timber spaces. Use a spirit level and/or plumb line to get everything level and plumb. Useful to have a spare scrap bit of wood 89" long to use to check the gap between top and bottom rails as you're building it. Finally, panel over the gap below the ceiling with something suitable.

If I remember I'll try and post a photo later.

By the way, the kit is cheaper at Focus than B&Q if you have one handy!

David

Reply to
Lobster

OK, further to my previous post, as promised here's a couple of pics.

First one shows the right-hand end of the opening (can't fit it all in one shot). Note that the vertical 4x1 is packed away from the wall by a couple of inches; this was done at both ends in order to reduce the opening to 3 metres (which is a break-point above which I'd have needed a fifth sliding door!):

is the rear side of the top rail, showing the bits of packing which keep the rail rigidly at the correct height:
> install the tracks? And lastly both walls have skirting - do you have > to cut the skirting to install the tracks? If anyone has any good > links with detailed instructions I would be most grateful.

One way or another you do need flat walls for the full height of the doors, otherwise when you slide the doors closed they'll hit the skirting and leave a gap accordingly between door and wall. Either cut the skirting (as reccomended in the instructions), or (as I did, as it was easier) cut a profile out of the packing to go round the skirting.

hth David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks this will be a great help - I am planning to do it this weekend

- so let you know how i get on!

Thanks again

ICTUser

height: