Laminate flooring in front entrance

I have installed laminate flooring in our kitchen and hallway, the front entrance is next. The front entrance also has a closet which we will floor with the laminate as well. The closet has two mirror sliding doors with a track on the top and a track on the bottom (both tracks have wheels). The flooring panels are about 54" long and the closet/entrance is 72" wide, so I will have to use full pieces, plus 18" pieces to finish off the 72" length (54" + 18" = 72"). A length of flooring reaches completely into the closet, plus 18" inches left to the closet wall.

Should I put all the joins inside the closet? I'm not sure how I would do this considering that you are supposed to stagger the joins (8" I think) for strength... I would not have any vertical joints to worry about chipping in the traffic area of the main entrance...

Or should I just install it as I normally did with the rest of the flooring - a full piece, then a cut piece, then the rest of the cut panel to start the next row? I will probably go this way unless someone has a better idea. This will have staggered joints but vertical joints present in this traffic area.

Anyone care to comment? advice? suggestions? tips?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

In a high traffic area it is important to have the joint staggered. In a closet, who cares? You can lay down a 54 and 18, then a 54, 9 and 9 if you want.

If you don't think it will look natural with no seams in the open area, do a

54, 18 then a 18, 54, next a 9, 54, 9 etc.

I'd try the 54, 18 idea first though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't think I should go 9", 54" 9" - I'll have two joins in a single row instead of one (or none)... anyone care to comment?

Reply to
Howie

Sure. So what?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

its a closet, throw some shoes over it & forget about it.

Reply to
longshot

I would try to locate the end of the boards under the closet door track. This will prevent them from lifting up and also hide the joint.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

would I have a weaker join area if they all the joins were aligned under the door track (no staggering)??

Reply to
Howie

Sure, but who cares? How much traffic walks on the track?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

the doors are somewhat heavy...

Reply to