Vinyl Wallpaper removal

I have a wall with vinyl wallpaper on it and it's difficult to take off, since whoever put it on didn't size or prime the wall first. The wall is just sheets of drywall, with the wallpaper on it. I can peel the top layer of the vinly off, leaving the remaining paper. But wetting this, while it helps it come off, results in a time-consuming chore, and is sometimes damaging the paper of the drywall.

I was thinking I'd just skim coat the wall and wondered the best way to do this. I can skim coat over the vinyl but think the bond wouldn't be good.

I can use a paper tiger on the vinyl, then prime and then skim.

I can remove the vinyl layer, then skimcoat it.

I can remove the vinyl layer, prime the remaining paper then skimcoat it.

Do any of these sound workable and easiest? Any other suggestions?

Should the primer be oil, water or alcohol based?

charles

Reply to
Charles Bishop

If you're not going to do it right, either don't mess with it, or just roller over it with any old thing. Call it the "New Califonia Shabby Chic" look. That is the name for countless layers of plaster, wallpaper, paint, and whatnot, all given another coat of paint.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Been there, done that...

If you're planning to live in the house for a while, go ahead and rip everything down, patch the sheetrock, and paint or whatever.

If this is a "pre-sale" project, sand the stuff to give it some "tooth" and hit it with a layer of high end latex paint. It'll probably stay attached long enough for the house to sell.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright