Laying Laminate flooring in hallway

Our hallway is fairly narrow, about 5 feet max. The Front door opens onto one part, about 4 feet to the foot of the stairs straight ahead, the hallway continues to the left of the stairs about another 10 feet, again max width here about 3 feet. As well as the front door there are five other doors opening off. My question is - what direction should the laminate be laid? Joints at right angles to front door i.e. across shortest dimension of hall or joints running away from front door?

Reply to
Mortimer

Mortimer,

It is advisable to lay laminate flooring along the longest dimension of the hall. It is less wastefull of the laminate, as you will have to cut some of the laminate pieces as you reach the end of each row of laminate. As you build up the rows of laminate across the room you will form a zig-zag pattern of joints (Imagine the typical 'brick-wall' pattern in a wall, but obviously on the floor).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Roebuck

I fitted some recently. In fact I am laying it in my other sons bedroom come this Friday/ Sat (and Sunday knowing my pace). It recommends that you lay the flooring long ways up in front of you as you look into the room from the door, running away from you as you describe it. With 5 doors leading off it, obviously not all will be in line with the flooring. I would go for maximum affect and go for the view you get when entering the house.

Roddy

Reply to
Rodders

The 'planks' need to run along the longest dimension - i.e. straight up the hall from the door in your case.

Make sure you remove the skirting while you do the job, and then put it back - or renew it - afterwards in order to cover the expansion gaps. Also undercut the doorframes and architraves by the thickness of the laminate + underlay so that it can slide under, with no unsightly gaps.

Reply to
Set Square

I personally went for the lengths of wood effect coving which glues on and which covers the space without the hassle of removing the skirting. This gives a nice finish and, in my opinion having removed and replaced very piece of skirting in my house when first bought, is 100% easier.

Rory

Reply to
Rodders

Sorry, but IMHO, beading always looks naff compared with having the gap covered by skirting. With beading, it's *always* obvious that it's a retro-fit.

Reply to
Set Square

I too would recommend 'not' lifting the skirting boards. Lay as suggested and cover expansion gap with suitable moulding.

Unless you've opted for an expensive version of this 'modern' floor covering you're unlikely to get a very long life out of it, especially in a high use area such as you describe. You'll probably be faced with replacement in a relatively short space of time.

I would consider the use of glued joints to help prolong the life of your flooring.

KG

Reply to
keng

I agree. And it reduces the floor area. You might not think it matters but it can do. some furniture which goes right up to the skirting has to stand away from it, thus making less room by quite a considerable amount.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I totally agree, in an ideal world, removing the skirting would be best, but we are offering up options to someone who is tackling this probably for the first time. Everyone has his individual standards, my standards are that a retro fit is acceptable, obviously yours insn't. But it is up to the OP. We can only offer advice and then leave it up to him to decide. In my opinion beading doesn't look naff but is now an acceptable addition to a laminated floored room.

Rory

Reply to
Rodders

In message , Rodders writes

Indeed. Pulling off the skirting in this house invariably leads to the skirting ending up a bit of a mess, and the plaster all coming off behind them. Ok, if big redecoration is under way, but not if you are just doing the floor.

What does look neat if you need to use beading is to mitre the ends, and put little return on the beading at the end of runs by doors etc. Easy if you use a power mitre saw, and much neater than straight finish.

Reply to
chris French

"Indeed. Pulling off the skirting in this house invariably leads t

the skirting ending up a bit of a mess, and the plaster all coming off behind them. Ok, if big redecoration is under way, but not if you are just doing the floor."

However because you are raising the floor level the small dints yo make at the top of the skirting are ususally unseen later. It's matter of how much effort it takes and the quality of your floor Skirting would all have to be renewed usually. The two pins which hol the external mitre may require cutting with a reciprocating/hacksaw t lessen the effort of tugging the old off.

Don't forget to undercut the architrive with a panel saw.

"What does look neat if you need to use beading is to mitre the ends and put little return on the beading at the end of runs by doors etc Easy if you use a power mitre saw, and much neater than straight finish.

-- Chris French, Leeds"

Yes doesn't it,? only the best professionals do that, but it's a grea aim for a diy'er.

Having done a full year of nothing but lay laminated and real wood floor when it was in fashion (it's terribly passet now), I'd rather return to m vomit than lay any in my own hall

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

Yep - I put some cheap stuff down in the bathroom and it's crap. It doesn't really last and it moves at the joints.

A good idea might be to have "quick release" skirting with a couple of levers!! :-)

Seriously though, sometimes there are advantages to screwing on the skirting boards.

M.

Reply to
Markus Splenius

I think it's time to dust off my "how not to do it" photo once again - taken in an otherwise beautifully appointed holiday let in Cornwall a couple of years ago.

Set Square

So is the expectation of a new keyboard ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

about 15 quid, when I did mine...

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

Eh?

Reply to
Set Square

Mine is covered in spit and coffee after seeing your picture but I don't suppose you'll buy me a new one ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sorry - maybe the photo have should come with a health warning!

Reply to
Set Square