Laminate flooring doorjamb trick

Starting laminate flooring in a doorway going out into the room is easy. Undercut jambs and slip first row underneath. What then, do you do when you get to a door on the opposite side of the room, with the doorway running with the direction of the flooring? I recently did a hallway with 8 doors, so I developed a trick for my own use to do this, and it worked quite well. I thought I would share this with others. As you progress across the room, plan and start shifting your stagger joints so that you can insure that the doorway will end up with a flooring joint somewhere inside it's width. My flooring hooked up going right to left when facing the unlaid area of the floor. The last row was allowed to start

1/2" from the wall, temporarily. I laid the last row of narrowed pieces of flooring until I got to the doorway. This piece had to be cut into an "L" shape to protrude into the door opening. Using a posterboard template, I cut the piece to conform very closely to the jamb and trim of the door. Taking a block, I tapped the flooring under the jamb and trim 3/8" toward the starting wall. Fitting another "L shaped piece of flooring between the end of the previous piece and the other jamb assembly finishes out the doorway and gets you TO the other jamb. Careful coping of the cuts is required for this. A special hook hammering tool sold for the purpose is used at the starting point to tap the flooring in your installation direction to slip the freshly cut area underneath the door jamb and trim. This leaves a doorway with very nicely fitted pieces of flooring, with no gaps. The flooring installation instructions should have directions on how to handle the butt joints of the flooring in a situation where the flooring cannot be tilted upward to allow locking. Maybe this will help someone else at installing this type of flooring. I would be interested in other's techniques in dealing with this and other tricky installation situations of various materials.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash