laying laminate flooring

Hi I have decided to put laminate flooring in my bathroom and have discovered that I can get away without any joints as the boards are 1400mm approx and my bathroom is 1240mm wide plus the width of the bath. So I will put them partly under the bath and the bath panel will cover the edges. However I have been told that the boards should be laid so that they run from the door to the window (the longest length) not across the room.

Does it matter that the boards will all be the same i.e. no overlapping joins or should I cut every second board in half and lay them that way? The bathroom floor area is 1720 by 1240.

Thanks Ron

Reply to
ron

It doesn't realy matter which way they go in a bathroom.

You will need to stagger the joins to give the floor enough stability. Personally I hate laying laminate in bathrooms due to the frequent cutting around pipes, WC's & basins. I reckon it's quicker to remove the WC & basin pedastal, laminate floor under them & replace. Certainly gives abetter job.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The boards want to run parrallel with the window or the longest lenght of the room.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Crap! course it does

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ballcocks! The boards run across the smallest dimension, this makes the room appear larger.

Except in a bathroom/toilet/small area, in which case the best practical option - pipes, WC's etc rules.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Medway Handyman lol google for it

Laying laminate flooring...

The3rd Earl Of Derby

sometimes you have nio choice but to lay it a cetain way and when you take edging strips into consideration the choice is usually made for you.

Reply to
.

Nope it cant. If you have a completely square bathroom then you go with laying it lenghtways to the bath lenght the opposite way would make it look odd to look at.

I've seen two bathrooms with it done and on both occasions they're other halfs have said "he's put it down the wrong way it looks really stupid".

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

oh, really.

yeah, if. if you need access under a living room floor you lay into the side of the room where there's access. if you want to cover two rooms, if you can't move a toilet .... the room decides, not some website or instruction manual.

Reply to
.

If you can span the width of the room in one length then there is no point in making unnecessary joins.

If they are going over existing boards then it is best to run them across the old boards for stability. If they are going on a solid or sheet subfloor then which way depends on convienience and aesthetics: along the long wall tends to look better as well as being easier to line up square in a big room. but in a small room an arrangement that reduces the amount of cutting and fitting around is probably more important.

Reply to
DJC

Oh yes there is! Breaking the bond eliminates the weak spot at the join and results ina astronger floor.

Agreed.

Agreed 2.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Break which bond? He said the room is narrower that the length of the planks. Put another way, the planks are longer than the room is wide. There is no need to join any planks end to end.

There is no need for any staggered joins. The only joins are lengthways between planks.

How can cutting planks in half and introducing unneccessary joins between the ends of them be to any advantage?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I'll get my coat ...........