Tips for painting skirting without getting paint onto new laminate flooring?

I have laid laminate flooring in a room. I am about to fit new skirting boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and gloss paints.

In the past, when I have done this job before, no matter what, I manage to get paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do not use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting boards.

I have tried sheets of a4 paper slipped in between the skirting and laminate floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

I am now thinking of laying some cut up long strips of polythene dpm when I fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

Comment welcome.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephenten

boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and gloss paints.

paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do not use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting boards.

floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

You can buy rigid plastic strips for exactly that task. I would expect strips of DPM to be as good, with the added advantage that you can lay them down everywhere and don't need to keep pulling them out to use on the next stretch.

I would recommend leaving the strips in place until the final coat of paint has dried, then running a sharp knife under the edge of the skirting to cut the paint film before pulling the strips out. With the purpose made strips, it is usually taking the strips out while the paint is still wet that spreads paint around.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Carpet shield is basically that. Been and Queued have it for little more than a fiver (quite a few pieces).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Masking tape? The proper decorators stuff that is, which is easy to lift and non-absorbent - rather than the el-cheapo stuff that seems to resist removal and lets the paint thro' to stain whatever is underneath.

Reply to
Woodworm

oards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and glo ss paints.

o get paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do not use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting board s.

ate floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

I fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

Sellotape/masking tape.

Reply to
harry

Why not? I do that (using newspaper) and it's never an issue. With a barrier between the skirting and flooring I'm not sure how you can manage to stray!

There's always white spirit of course if you do stray, although obviously preferable to not do in the first place.

If paper isn't working for you then I'm not sure why anything else would that will work on the same principle.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Just learn to do it freehand. Not that difficult, and a hell of a lot faster

Reply to
stuart noble

boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and gloss paints.

paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do not use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting boards.

floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

In general, water based paint wipes off smooth surfaces such as laminate flooring much more easily than oil based. At least your primer and undercoat could be done in water based and so side-step much of the issue, even if you insist on oil based for gloss.

Reply to
polygonum

boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and gloss paints.

paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do not use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting boards.

floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

Masking tape?

Overlapping (along the skirting board length) newspaper?

On Thursday 30 May 2013 00:17 snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You used to be able to get thin plastic strips, about 2-3ft long by 1.5" wide - slightly curved in the direction of the short dimension.

These slid under skirting - nominally for use with carpet. Either B&Q or Homebase.

Failing that switch your A4 paper (too thin and too small) for an A0 or A1 bit of 1mm card (art shop) cut into 3" strips. You should aim to get enough to do all the skirting at once.

Paint, wait 30 mins-hour, pull car out a few mm to break the paint seal, but DO NOT remove. Leave until paint is fully set then remove. Should be reusable a few times.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 30 May 2013 00:31 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Bugger - I'd forgotton DPM when I wrote my last post. Which is stupid as it is the method I actually used! *sigh*.

Yes - heavy DPM (not DPC) cut into 3-4" strips works a treat.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 30 May 2013 09:38 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'd debate that - I can cut a edge on a wall pretty nicely but the concentration level required is tiring.

I'd rather spend an hour prepping with masking then the actually painting seems to go twice as fast.

But I'm not a pro...

Reply to
Tim Watts

boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and g loss paints.

to get paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do no t use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting boa rds.

inate floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

en I fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

The knots come through the water based paint after a while.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I've always used old newspaper held in place with masking tape. Another tip is not to overload the brush when working near the edge - and use a small brush.

Reply to
charles

On Thursday 30 May 2013 11:12 Jonathan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Knots bleed through oil based paints too -

Reply to
Tim Watts

A bit of knotting does help.

Reply to
polygonum

boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and gloss paints.

paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do not use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting boards.

floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

Why not paint the skirting *before* you fix it to the wall - then stick it on with Gripfill? If there are any slight gaps where the wall isn't quite straight, you can fill them with decorator's caulk and touch up the paintwork after the event.

When fixing it, space it clear of the floor by a tiny bit, using bits of thin card as spacers. Not only will this allow the laminate to "float" more easily, but it will also provide a space into which you can insert some plastic sheeting *next* time the skirting needs painting.

Reply to
Roger Mills

boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and gloss paints.

paint on the new laminate floor when painting the skirting. I do not use quadrant beading as the laminate flooring goes under the skirting boards.

floor. It is not a totally satisfactory solution.

fit the skirting. Paint and then pull out the strips of dpm.

Doesn't anyone use a "george" any more?? Lasts a lifetime - longer if you inherit one from your father!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not since it got knicked by Asda...

Reply to
polygonum

That's what I'm going to do this weekend. (Even if you decide to screw to the wall, one can always touch up the screw heads afterwards).

Oooh! *That* is a neat trick. Thank you.

Reply to
Martin Bonner