Flooring Q

I am curious if anyone has put vinyl plank flooring over osb.

Recently we removed sheet vinyl from two rooms to find it was laid over osb and not glued down. It was there for almost twenty years, flat as a board and no issues. I was surprised it wasn't glued. Since the subfloor seems like new, I am trying to decide if it really needs any further underlayment.

Thoughts on this?

Reply to
Casper

Contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. Only their response will be the one that matters.

Reply to
Leon

:pts of "floating" solid vinyl flooring out there, as well as perimeter glued - but OSB has enough "texture" to it that it could "telegraph" through and show. As said - check with the manufacturer of the new flooring. Possibly, with a new floating floor, just a layer of the very thin high density foam used as an underlay for laminate would do the job???

Reply to
clare

I get the 'contact manufacturer' thing...

My rooms came with sheet vinyl over OSB. It was installed in the plant; no brand name given.

Due to very low door frames, I can't put down thick plywood and then flooring. I might be able to do 1/4" ply but some floating floors come with a pre-attached underlayment that could make it too thick. Only thing under the carpeting is typical carpet foam over OSB.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Casper

Where are you buying your vinyl flooring to get 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick??? My premium solid vinyl sheet flooring is MABEE 65 thou thick. The new "premium" vinyl snap or edge=glued flooring that looks like hardwood or tile MIGHT be 1/8" thick. That dougle layer product would not likely telegraph, but I know from experience the .065 solid vinyl sheet flooring can!!!

Reply to
clare

One of the floating HDF/Laminates with the recommended underlayment will be just fine. That'll typically be like 8 mm thickness for the flooring and another 2mm for the underlayment for 10 mm (just over 3/8") total installed thickness.

You could _probably_ get by with simply a layer of heavy paper if this is above grade with finished floor underneath rather than bare crawl space so there's really no moisture issue but as Leon says, "manufacturer rulez" is the real answer.

Reply to
dpb

I'm reminded of the time my Dad put down sheet vinyl on a plank floor above a crawlspace in a house built in the '20s. First time the wind came up that vinyl _flew_.

For some reason the concept of "underlayment" was offensive to him. When we sold the place after he died the flying vinyl was still there.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Any of the multi-function tools are perfect for cutting clearance on the door frame/jamb. Simply lay a piece of the intended new flooring material next to the frame/jamb and use as a guide to cut with a saw tool - perfect clearance. If you don't want the tool to mar the new flooring material, lay it upside down so the back takes any damage.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I am not expecting telegraphing either if I use sheet viynl again as it came that way and there was no telegraphing over the 20 years. I've never installed sheet vinyl, only other types of flooring, and so was considering vinyl planks for DiY ability and cost savings.

Can't plane the bottom of metal doors and I wouldn't want to try. I don't want to try and raise the doors either.

If the flooring goes too high, I will also have issues with the under cabinet drawers and storage spaces, which would all require modification to continue to be useful.

I've seen different types of vinyl planking. One is more like a peel and stick, of which I am leery. Two is a solid type that has an attached underlayment. I'm researching both for durability, warranty, price and ease of self-installment.

Reply to
Casper

I'm not buying anything to get thick. I am trying to find out how much an underlayment would raise other types of flooring up. The total height of any flooring, with or without underlayment is something I need to know before I choose and buy.

I want to do this myself but I am not familiar with installation of sheet flooring and don't want to pay someone else to install it.

Ergo maybe vinyl planks that I can self install and save.

No help fo this job. It's all me, myself and I.

Reply to
Casper

You are correct. I am looking for a DiY product that is durable, water-resistant and won't be too high to force me to do other modifications in the house as a result.

A friend has a Pergo laminate in thier kitchen and a 125 gallon turtle tank across the room. Every month they refresh the water by running hoses across the floor to drain and refill the tank. I have been watching the laminate peel more and more at the corners and bubble up in areas. I think that flooring was a bad choice for a kitchen. Just saying what I am seeing.

If I can't find a suiatable DiY alternative, I will probably have more solid sheet vinyl reinstalled professionally. Since the plan is to do the entire house, I was hoping to save the labor cost with DiY.

Reply to
Casper

That is thinner than I have seen as a total height. Do you know which one? Brand??

Underneath of house is a heavy Polyethylene underbelly secured to steel girders, above which is heavy insulation. It has a space to crawl underneath the house but you can't reach much without removing all of that poly and insulation. There are only secured spots where pipes and wires come through for water, electric, etc.

I am still searching for a product, preferably DiY.

Reply to
Casper

The above was the spec's from one of the multitude of lower-priced products from Lumber Liquidators web site....I'd be pretty certain there must be hundreds of very similar dimensions available. Which one it was, specifically, I don't recall, but was one of the "clickable" floating (not glued/stapled) styles.

Sounds as though should work just find for the application altho you'd still want to double-check manufacturer's info for installation guidelines and especially proscribed uses. Most are ok above grade; it's below grade and/or directly on concrete that is the primary moisture issue.

You don't give a location so can't judge what the climatology might be as far as wetness factor...out here SW KS High Plains I'd have no concern; back in coastal VA, say, well, would guess would want to not skip the moisture barrier underlay...

Reply to
dpb

OK, the link was still in the remembered history...

was the one I just picked at more or less random...

Reply to
dpb

The new "luxury vinyl" plank and tile look-alike flooring is not terribly thick and can be self-installed - but costs significantly more than sheet vinyl - mighr be cheaper to pay an installer than to buy the more expensive product - - - -

Reply to
clare

Then you should be set.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the product you said you were think about using, vinyl plank flooring.

There are simple ways with dealing with door jams, that is a common item that has to be addressed with new floors.

Reply to
Leon

Click Laminate flooring is available from 6mm to 15mm thick, with quality from abyssmal to pretty darn good in pretty well any thickness. Price is all over the map, and sadly just because you pay more doesn't make one better than another. The european and north american broduct are GENERALLY better than the Chinese product (as in just about anything) There again, just because it has a european name, and the head office is in Sweden or wherever, does't mean the product isn't from China!!!

Reply to
clare

Just about any product from Lumber Liquidators will be Chinese. Haro is supposed to be pretty good - German. KronoSwiss is supposed to be pretty good too. The stuff I installed ended up being Chinese - about the only thing I can say for it was the price was low and it was 14mm thick. It was not easy to install, and chips easily - - - No idea what the brand was - it was sold bu a discout flooring store locally - more or less a Lumber Liquidators clone.

Reply to
clare

On 07/14/2015 4:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

I make (and made) no recommendations on a specific product other than point to the _type_ of product OP seemed to be looking for---he can choose what he wants at a price point he's comfortable with from any vendor he chooses...

Reply to
dpb

Big budget choice would be ceramic tile. Lesser budget is vinyl sheet. OSB sub-floor may not be suitable for ceramic though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski