vinyl flooring / hardboard sheets ?

Still working on getting the en-suite finished off (my dad's doing it for me) and he's suggested hardboard sheets to "flatten" the floor a bit, rather than it going direct onto floorboards.
I have a few reservations though...
The hardboard seems to do a good job of highlighting hollows in the floor, so while it might be a flatter surface overall, it also bounces a bit where the underlying floor is uneven.
The back-to-wall units go all the way to the floor, they're not the sort on legs with clip-on fascias, so he's talking about sitting them on top of the vinyl - which happens to be the plushest / deepest we could find (and the hardboard below that) which might make the vinyl "lift" slightly around load-bearing edges for the units etc.
If the vinyl needs replacing, this then causes problems with essentially needing to gut the room to get the new stuff in - unless i'm missing something obvious :-}
The only way around it that I can see would be to run a blade around the fixtures and fit the new vinyl up to the edges, but that'd look a bit crap, even with silicone to seal the edges.
Any ideas on best practice in these circumstances would be welcome :-}
in message

Bouncy hardboard: not so with extensive use of hardboard nails.
mark

Yes indeed. I bought one of the cheap screwfix electric nail guns to do this in a sensible time (and to save my fingers). About every six to eight inches in each direction.

Cheers, i'll get him to dig his out !
On 2 Nov, 01:01, Colin Wilson

I've used 6 mm plywood on top of old floor boards - worked well and the floor boards were not very level. Fit the vinyl underneath and worry about replacing it if/when you have to :)