Flooring material for hallway and loo combined?

I'm not much of an interior designer! I need to cover the bare concrete floor in my house's hallway, and the loo which opens onto the hallway. I want to use something that's washable, because part of the floor will be in the loo and part will be in the hallway, where people tend to come in with muddy shoes. Anyone suggest a flooring material that won't cost a fortune, yet will be durable and good looking?

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Is the concrete surface in good condition?

You might look at industrial floor coatings:

dom

If it's a relatively small area, something like Altro or Marmoleum?

mike

Ceramic floor tiles. Random example, Wickes Product Code: 235300. Look good, last forever.

Reply to
john

snipped-for-privacy@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I wondered about ceramic tiles (the ones that are meant to look like stone). I wasn't sure if they'd look right in an entrance hall, but I don't see why not; the Victorians used quarry tiles a lot, after all.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

" snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t10g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

fairly good). Thanks for the suggestion. It's an option I hadn't considered.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

mike wrote in news:e02147eb-1a7a-42ec-a0b4- snipped-for-privacy@y13g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

suggestion. I like the sound of the marmoleum with its cork backing. (thermal insulation would indeed be desirable). The appearance sounds suitable (I want to make a good first imression when people come in the front door! The cost is a bit more than I was thinking of but I guess it might be money well spent if it has a quality look and lasts well.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Surely the first impression is _you_ rather than the lino.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Tiles, stone or slate.

For choice. Around £50-£100/sq meter laid.

Or vinyl or lino at around £20-£50

estimates roughly true when I last costed. May have changed now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got slate everywhere. Really like it. Sort of greeny grey. UFH however.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:i259if$91r$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

I like slate too. In fact I used some roofing slates to tile the window sills in the kitchen. Looks fine! Last time I went in Wikes (about 3 years ago) they had some nice-looking slate tiles. Not sire if they were genuine slate or resin-bassed fake slate, but it looked very string (more so than say ceramic tiles).

The toles am am considering at the mo are ceramic tiles attempting to look like slate! I am considering them, cos they are on offer at my local B&Q, £7 a sq mtr.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

@news.albasani.net:

Yes, tiles are good, if you pick nice looking ones, and if you lay yourself not too expensive. But... why do you have a combination hallway and bathroom?

NT

Reply to
NT

effing good price. My (India) slate was £25a square meter.

If She likes em, get em.

be careful though, there's some truly dreadful tiles that are transfer printed and thin glazed or varnished maybe..the color wears off damned quickly. The tiles that look like stone that wear, are a lot more pricey. £15-£30 usually, or more.

If poss get a sample and attack with emery paper,. If the colour wears off before you get wanker's cramp and terminal boredom, don't buy em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Why not? Every house I've lived in for the past 20 years has had a downstairs loo that opened onto the hallway, at the same floor level. One assumes there is a door!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

NT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Toilet/washroom opening onto hallway... very commonplace.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

r$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

that doesnt sound to me like a combination hall & bathroom, more like a bathroom that opens onto the hallway. I'm having visions of a mysterious hole in the oak hall floor, and a cagey attitude to opening the front door.

NT

Reply to
NT

Frank Erskine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not if I'm not present, and an estate agent is showing them the place. (-:

Reply to
AL_z