Another wossit called ~ lethean moment!

A tool used by a traditional signwriter, and possibly artists, to support the brush hand. Basically a wooden rod or dowel with a small cushion on the working end. I should know the name but can't remember. Not getting much joy from google either.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

A maul IIRC.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Mahl stick?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many thanks Bernard, spot on. Also known as a mahl.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Close enough to get a prize. Apparently it's mahl - to me a maul is either a rugby scrum gone wrong, or a kind of hammer. I'd never heard of the name for the painting stick.

Andy Champ

Is the correct answer.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Possibly related to the German "maler" = "painter"?

On the other hand "Mahl" in German = "meal" or "repast"

Reply to
Norman Billingham

In message , Norman Billingham writes

Which takes up most of the day, or at least from 10 till 2

Reply to
geoff

Then they come round with a trolley full of (free) beer in bottles up to 1 litre.

Vorsprung durch teknik (= better living by way of alcohol) ;-)

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

At school, we used to call it a stick; and tape some cloth on the end to stop it scratching.

Often comes in handy when painting: not just signs.

Spamlet

Free ?

We had to go down to the automats on the ground floor armed with a ruck of small change -70pf /bottle

Except on a Friday, when it was bound to be someone's cause to celebrate which included birthdays, christenings, weddings coming up, new car, whatever ...

which involved a barrel of beer and eats

We usually turned the kw laser off, just in case ...

Down in production, they once went on strike because there was a rumour that not allowing workers to have beer at their point of work (lathe, press, milling machine whatever) was going to be discussed at a board meeting (there was normally one serious drink related accident a week ...)

Those were the days

Reply to
geoff