Another sketchup question

So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a separator panel inside the dados.. but the panel is surrounded all around and is not an edge...

So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner. Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.

In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to move everything away to select it, I have tried hiding, xray.. What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all the edges w/o having to move things out of the way?

Thank you.

Reply to
woodchucker

Found a hint to triple click..

Reply to
woodchucker

Not quite the same thing, but something very handy in similar circumstances, when other groups/components are in the way of drawing or editing something, Leon turned me on to this handy plugin:

Swingman

As Swingman has pointed out, the select and isolate plug in works well but you already need for your selection to be a component. IIRC it only works if the selection a component. It will make everything except the selected component

As you have found, triple clicking a group of connected lines will allow you to select all and then convert into a component. Keep in mind that any lines that are touching but not intended to be a part on the group of lines that you want to convert will also be selected. Therefore it is always best to make a group of lines into a component before beginning another part/component. It's ok if the component is not complete, you can edit it separately.

Reply to
Leon

. It will make everything except the selected component disappear.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, but in my case any touching lines were needed to set the size of the panel that was being captured by the dadoes and grooves.

I am forcing myself to get better with this... and even for a project I don't intend to build for a while.. Today's a paint day... so in between coats... I am working on this...

I have to tell you that this design could have been done off the top of my head, but Sketchup as pointed out that I needed to rethink it. So looking at it, I did get the idea, my clearances were not adequate...

You and Swingy made me realize I need to get with the program..

I never have built off of plans, so this will be a first. Would like to see if it helps avoid time loss, and just stairing at the project... I still might wind up there, as I always change my design, but maybe this time it will happen in the design phase rather the production phase...

Reply to
woodchucker

Do you mean "component", or entity?

As you know, in Sketchup "component" has a pretty specific definition, which can be confusing. ;)

On my system the plugin can be used to isolate any _selected_ "group", "component", and/or an entity - like a selected line/edge, face, and even guide lines and dimensions, and selected combinations thereof.

I find I use it constantly now that your turned me on to it; especially when modeling rooms that have a lot of cabinets and other items that need to be re-sized to fit a change ... I can use guide lines to mark out the boundary's of the changes first, then isolate the selections and guide lines together and model the isolated entity to those extents.

For those listening in, it basically it uses the "Hide" function in a reverse fashion ... it "hides" everything that is not selected. You can also "reveal" all previously isolated entities with the "unhide" function, not just by going back to the context menu.

The plugin also seems to work much better on my system in SU 2014 than in 2013. I think there were some under-the-hood changes in 2014 relating to OpenGL that makes it play better with my graphics subsystem.

Reply to
Swingman

Bingo ... since getting proficient with SU, and learning to "build" the item/project in SU before walking out to the shop, it's so rare that I change anything in midstream any longer that its literally been years since doing so.

Not only saving a ton of time, but beaucoup material.

Not to mention the increase in the ability to accurately, and I mean ACCURATELY, bid a project, no matter how small or large.

Coupled with CutList Plus (without or without its plugin) ... ain't nothing like it.

Reply to
Swingman

Make it into a component before you draw other stuff touching it..

Another way is to draw what you want to make into a component away from everything else, make it a component and then move it where you want it.

Barring those, you could use layers...draw one thing on a new layer...draw something else on a different new layer. Hide either layer and you can easily select what's left to make it a component. Making components as you go is easier

Reply to
dadiOH

Have not worked in layers yet. Maybe a little later.. still a newbie at this.

Reply to
woodchucker

As has already been mentioned, you can use triple clicking to select all of the connected pieces of your panel. If the things that are around your panel are already components then they will not be selected when you triple click on the panel.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Although Layers can be handy (and essential to work flow in modeling construction/fabrication projects), be aware that Layers can cause major frustration, especially if you start the practice of drawing on specific layers only.

An essential rule to follow, and the absolute best way to use Layers when modeling in SU, is to first assemble your geometry into either groups and/or components on Layer 0, and then assign those, ONLY after they have been grouped/made into a component, to a specific layer.

As familiar as I am with SU modeling on a daily basis, I occasionally get bit by this and it can be difficult and time consuming to correct, even on even small, uncomplicated models; and especially deadly on complicated models with lots of groups and component parts.

Here, found this that explains it quicker than I can type it. Copy it somewhere and put it your saddlebags for later, you will be glad you did:

How To Avoid Problems with Layers in Google Sketchup (by Adrian Chopra)

~ Do all your modeling on Layer0. Keeping all your loose geometry (that?s not part of a group or component) together in one place is the only way to make sure that you don?t end up with edges and faces all over the place. SketchUp, unfortunately, lets you put geometry on whatever layer you want, which means that you can end up with a face on one layer, and one or more of the edges that define it on another. When that happens, it?s next to impossible to work out where everything belongs.

~ Don?t move anything but groups and components to other layers. If you?re going to use layers, follow this rule: Never put anything on a layer other than Layer0 unless it?s a group or a component. Doing so ensures that you don?t end up with stray edges and faces on separate layers.

~ Use layers to organize big groups of similar things. More complicated SketchUp models often include things like trees, furniture, cars, and people. These kinds of things are almost always already components, so they?re perfect candidates for being kept on separate layers.

~ Don?t use layers to organize interconnected geometry; use the Outliner instead. Interconnected geometry means things like building floor levels and staircases. These model parts aren?t meant to be physically separate from other parts like vehicles and people are.

~ Feel free to use layers to iterate. Iteration is the process of doing multiple versions of the same thing. Lots of designers work this way to figure out problems and present different options to their clients. Using layers is a great way to iterate: You can move each version of the thing you?re working on to a different layer, and then turn them on and off to show each in turn. Just remember to follow the rule about using groups and components only on separate layers (mentioned previously), and you?ll be fine.

As one who uses Layers in every model, I can't emphasize just how important it is to follow the above guide lines when working with layers.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
woodchucker

IIRC it only works on a component or maybe a group. I might have that confused with something else. I'll double check that.

I created a short cut key to invoke the command to hide unselected. I use the short cut key again to reverse the action. It works as a toggle.

Reply to
Leon

It is far better to work out design ideas and problems on the computer than in the shop.

Reply to
Leon

Try assembling the dadoed rails and styles and be certain that they are components. Draw a rectangle the size of only the opening using the actual rails and stiles intersection points as your guide. Then pull the rectangle the appropriate width of the dado. Then lengthen and widen the panel by pulling again to enlarge it enough to fill the bottoms of the dados. Triple click and make the panel into a component. Now move the panel the appropriate direction and distance to fit inside the dados.

Reply to
Leon

Might have been an earlier version ... the latest version, 11/2013 description:

"This plugin will allow you to isolate selected items by hiding the remaining visible entities in the scene. These items can be any selectable entity in your model: faces, edges, groups, components, dimensions, etc.}"

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, been doing that, just couldn't figure out how to make it a component.

I don't use groups any longer, you and Swingman got me using components. I have to start regularly using this tool, because for the few times I have tried, I have too long a gap between, so I forget a lot of what I pick up.

This was interesting to see that my clearances were not going to be enough... I normally don't get that spatial sense when looking at a diagram, this time I did. While it looked fine, when I measured it was too close...

Reply to
woodchucker

OK I verified! You are correct, the select and isolate works on any thing basically. For some reason I was under the impression that it only worked on a component or group.

Reply to
Leon

Good! I'm glad you understood that explanation. LOL

Consider this too. I have not yet tried this but I think it might be easier drawing the door panel, actually in place and to exact size, if you use the section tool to expose the inner sections of the frame work and exposing the dado's. I'll look into that.

I will use groups to group components together. I often will want to see what a paneled door would look like if it were opened. It is easier to group the rails and stiles and center panel together to pivot open instead of having to select each component to do this. This is handy for moving other groupings also.

Precisely! The ability to look at a drawing from multiple angles is a valuable tool for verification purposes

Reply to
Leon