Sketchup question

I noticed that SU isn't a free app anymore (except to use online, which I haven't tried). I still have an older version

My question is: How to get supscripts into a textfield: like x1, where the 1 should be a subscript.

I have a Windows 10 machine, and already have over an hour invested in this stupid problem... all to make something that "looks professional"... lol

Thank you for any suggestions! I have to step away from the machine!!! Oh, and Happy Easter!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

If you're talking about the old free "Sketchup Make" standalone version (which I've still got here as well; haven't got into the subscription model stuff yet and haven't tried the online version, either), it's not possible. You can change font/size/color of the text as an entity but that's all the sophistication built into the text box in Make.

Layout has the facility, but it requires the Pro license and at least here I can't run it any longer...not tried to see if there are any ways around that.

Reply to
dpb

Thank you! Your reply is helpful. I think I'll try the newer online version and see how that goes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I looked at the free online version and it is primitive compared to "Sketchup Make". You can't enter text at all like in Sketchup Make. How did I anticipate that was going to happen? I saved the (old) install program. The program is more than sufficient for most of my purposes.

Reply to
Bill

re: "You can't enter text at all like in Sketchup Make."

I never tried Make, so I don't if you mean "You can't add text at all in Sketchup Web" (you can) or you can't add in the same way as in Make.

If you meant that you can't add it *at all*, try this:

On the Measuring Tape pop-out menu, there is a Text option

On the Rectangle pop-out menu there's a 3D Text option.

I probably wouldn't have hidden the Text/3D Text options in those menus, but that's where they are.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thank you for informing me. I may take a 2nd look at the web program, but the text feature doesn't sound like a substitute for a "textfield with an arrow". I am currently exploring my other options as I worked on two different drawings today and I'm not thrilled with them (and that's ALL I've done today...LOL!) It's partially my own fault for having grown "rusty" with SU.

Reply to
Bill

There is also a Dimensions feature which provides arrows.

Perhaps you could get creative by using a dimensions arrow, hiding part of it behind a text box.

I haven't tried that in SU, but when working in Power Point, I often use shapes with no border to hide parts of imported pictures, etc.

There's a tiny free program called pixie.exe that tells you the exact color of the point under your cursor. By using that you can re-create that exact color to use as the fill color for a shape (or font color, etc.) to help blend your edits into the original image.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I went back and redid my models with SU. I made them a little simpler, based on my earlier experiences. SU seems far better than the next best thing available to me. Sometime I take the jpg files I make with SU, and retouch them with a photo-editor(MS Photodraw from Office 95, I think!).

Reply to
Bill

I have a low-end computer and TV in my shop, where I can easily see it from my saw. It helps to be able to view cuts while actually doing it. I've always had trouble with printing SU models, particularly with dimensions.

Reply to
krw