Free Version Of Sketchup

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version of it, you can download it here

damian penney

That's me. couldn't justify the cost for my hobby use, and have been harding my 8 hours of trial time, waiting for the best use of it.

Sketchup pro, but on the surface it looks very useful for me.

Reply to
alexy

to home design. Easy to learn and easy to use.

RicodJour

Make that "hoarding", of course!

Reply to
alexy

for quickly mocking up designs. I was about to sketch some options for a new front porch for my father using it.

todd

Reply to
todd

Yup; looks like they came upon a real goodie there.

Reply to
Pop

AH! And I figured you just weren't using it for any softwood projects.

*snicker*
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

But where is the Linux version???

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes, it looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement points out that google requires you to allow the program to phone home for updates. It also maintains a unique program identifier that allows google to track whatever they have programed into it to track, though they do say that personal information is not tracked. Google seems to be going that way. I don't like automatic updates in general, or programs that use my internet connection without my knowledge or consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Right next to the WINE?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
damian penney

That comment was meant jokingly, but I guess I haven't kept up. Last time I looked at WINE, it had more bugs than a dead horse. I'll take another look. Thanks for reminding me.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Nothing penguin-friendly that I see. However, for you Mac hippies out there, a Mac version is coming "soon".

todd

Reply to
todd

Use a firewall and don't give it automatic permission. Heck, I don't even allow my anti-virus program unlimited access.

Reply to
Thomas Adams

That's why I run a dual boot machine. The best and worst of two worlds.

Reply to
Thomas Adams

Reply to
Mapdude

I was unable to determine if dimensions and/or dimension lines could be displayed. Is there a setting which causes dimensions to display, or is that something available only in the Pro version?

(Yes, I know the small box down on the right has the dimensions of the selected item, but that's not the same as displaying dimensions lines.)

Reply to
John L. Poole

Answering my own question

I spent over an hour trying discern how to do this last night, even watched their online video for 20 minutes and finally gave up. Of course right after I posted this this evening, I came across their online documentation and the answer was right there: Tools-Dimension then select the segment you want to display a dimension and pull a dimension line off it.

Reply to
John L. Poole

Yes, you could do this, but then the offending program will still be running in the background, using system resources, slowing the computer down. Get enough of these sort of parasitic programs and your machine starts to crawl.

Please I am not meaning to offend anybody here. Again - looks like a really cool program. Just understand what else may be involved if you decide to go with it.

Harvey

Mapdude wrote:

Reply to
eclipsme

On 4/29/2006 8:25 AM eclipsme mumbled something about the following:

It doesn't have any background program that runs, it connects to home when you start it up. When you close it down, there is nothing left running in the background.

Reply to
Odinn

Here's the skinny on the differences:

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use

Reply to
Zz Yzx